This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racecar

I am looking to turn my 2000 ls1 T/a in to a track car, while still keeping it street legal. My dad thinks that i should buy a v6 firebird, and build that but i dont think its nessesary, as these new F-bdies have alot of potential. I was wondering would it be cheaper to convert my car, and if i did what would be nessesary, because i know theres cars out there that run in the 8's with just a cage and some suspension. What would i need to do with the front end that is easier or harder then with a V6.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Not sure I understand your question.... are you asking if you should start to mod your LS1 into a track car, or if it would be better to start with a V6 car? But what do you plan to do with the V6 car? I don't think you would have much of a chance of running "in the 8's" with a V6. Or are you asking if you should buy a cheap V6 car, and swap in a built version of an LS1?

In any case, I think you are understating what it takes to build an 8-second car. And, the chances of keeping it "street legal" are slim. Maybe "streetable".... but defintely not street legal. I've been involved in the buildup of an 8-second LT1, and I'd estimate the car had at least $75K in work in it..... a bit more than "just a cage and some suspension".

You might want to clarify exactly what you are trying to do.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah. In the Old F-body Club I was in, we had a fully built LT1 Blown in a 95 Z28 and the best that thing did was low low 9's. It was fully caged and everything. Nothing on that thing was stock but the body. It was up in the $50k range. Maybe he's talking about in the 8th.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Sorry, I was in a rush. I meant streetable first of all, and i didnt meen to have an 8 second car, i just meant that there out there. I wanted to know if it would be smarter to sell my ls1 and buy a cheep v6, and pull the motor outof that and put like a 427 sbc or something, OR try to sell my ls1 motor now, and put the 427 in there. What does the V8 version of a car have that a v6 doesnt, in terms of suspension/stability ect, that a v6 doesnt, and what would be cheaper.

Ive seen trans am's with huge turbos, running 8's with just a few chassis mods, and thats why i was wondering what it would take for it to be able to handle lets say 750 hp / 650-700 tq from a foot break launch, and go in the mid 9's (would lighten the car up a few hundred pounds, and would still leave streetable gears in it like 4.11's or whatever the next gear size up is, with a powerglide, so i can still drive 80 mph at like 3000 rpm)
        [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

The only way I would put my body into an 8 second car is if the car was built by a certified and reputable chassis builder......

Comment

When your looking at wanting to Run 8's, your talking about a 10 point Cage. Over 800hp, and one hell of a suspension set up. As well as some Wheelie bars and all. Its not that easy as you make it out to be. Yeah there is alot of cars out there running 8's pushing like 20+ lbs of boost but there is no way in hell its going to be Street legal. Even 9's is just about impossible to make it pass Smog. I dont know how the laws are were your from but there no way you can do it Here in California. As for weather its a V6 model or your TRans Am, your going to have to change everything anyways, including your diff. b/c im pretty sure your stock one is not going to handle 700+hp. All the Suspension is going to have to upgarded anyways. When we built that 9 second Z, we had to build a custom 4 link with a Ford 9". Its not an easy task. You might be able to pull 10's and be able to pass smog but thats going to be a tuffy.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
              what it would take for it to be able to handle lets say 750 hp / 650-700 tq from a foot break launch, and go in the mid 9's (would lighten the car up a few hundred pounds, and would still leave streetable gears in it like 4.11's or whatever the next gear size up is, with a powerglide, so i can still drive 80 mph at like 3000 rpm)
              A bullet proof rear end and trans, decent chassis along with deep pockets. Simple really.

Comment

Your expectations are WAY too high for someone that has to ask this kind of question. Here is a question for you... Do you have another car to drive everyday, or will this still be your daily driver? If this is going to be your daily driver... forget about 8's or 9's or even 10's. Your best bet is sticking with the car you have and moding it. Go with full exhaust, a cam, intake, etc. You will be in the 11's with full bolt ons. Im almost sure that will be plenty fast for you(maybe even too fast.)

Now if this is going to be a strip car that only sees the street once in awhile... Then the skys the limit. (Or at least your wallet is)

Good luck with your project.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  The only way I would put my body into an 8 second car is if the car was built by a certified and reputable chassis builder......
                  Thats for Sure, your looking at 150+ mph in a quarter? Esh

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  A bullet proof rear end and trans, decent chassis along with deep pockets. Simple really.
                  Yeah We were pushing around 780hp and we would snap axles like crazy, ha ha. The TRans was good, We used a 3800 Stall converter. Did 100 foot wheelies before we got the Wheelie bars. But for sure, Real deep pockets. Sounds Simple to me.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Ok i thought i made it clear that it wasn't going to run 8 seconds. I am prepared to spend money, and no it wont be a daily driver it will just be streetable, not street legal. I will have to put in an entire new rear setup, and i will have to change all of my suspension. This is going to be a racecar, not a street car, which i would get special plates or pay someone off to put me throo inspection. I know i need a cage, and transmittion and weight reduction if i wanto go that fast. Im not looking to supercharge or whatever to my car this will be a bracket car running heavy with no electronics, carb'd with a 427 small block (or sumthing big like that). Having said that, can anyone answer my last question of specific parts that i would need that are weak on mine, and would it just be cheaper to buy a v6 and do it to that one and sell my ls1. And so there are no misconceptions i meen take OUT the v6 and put IN a smallblock

Comment

and off the foot break, and with gears as low as 4.11 or the next size up it probably wont be seeing numbers under 1.35 60 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
                        , can anyone answer my last question of specific parts that i would need that are weak on mine, and would it just be cheaper to buy a v6 and do it to that one and sell my ls1. And so there are no misconceptions i meen take OUT the v6 and put IN a smallblock
                        I thought I had done that.

Seriously, it won't matter what car you buy. The chassis are all the same. You'll need to make decisions that others cannot make for you. Do you want to run port fuel injection, TBI injection or Carb? Get a tubular K member with appropriate mounts and drop in the engine. Carb and regular ignition is simple, fuel injection gets more complex. Might want a stand alone management system. Go with the headers of choice.

Comment

Yeah, I would just get the biggest engine Chevy makes. Go with the 572 Big block. It pushes like 600+ hp out of the box. The guys from "Horsepower TV" Put one of those in a Malibu, fully caged and Mini tubed with a 4 speed and got it down the Track right under the 9's. But u have to remember this was with a 9'' and Mini Tubes, so they were running a pretty high stall with a Trans-brake. I would go with something like that, If money is not really an issue. Then if you ever want, you can get a turbo set-up. That engine can Handle well over 1000hp Im sure. As for the Car, Either one would work, I'd say do it to the TRans Am and sell the LS1 and trans and Rearend. Extra funds.
                          Eddie
                          2000 M6 Trans Am
                          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If you decide to sell the LS1... Give me a shout. I would be interested.
                            No F-Body right now

Comment

Mark B. Would you want the whole drivetrain and all or just the motor itself? Is this for your white camaro, i was looking at the mods list and wondering if that was all already put on because i just replaced my rear end components including a new axle, and berings on both sides.

Answer to the one person be 4, it would be a carb motor like i mentioned above.

And to the other one, the reason i wouldnt do a big block is because of weight issues, and i cant tub the car because then i would never be able to run it in stock or certain classes if not all superstock in the future. I think if you can sell a 427 (ls7) from the factory with 505 hp, making that number, 700 + wont be too much trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X