This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im glad were all finaly getting along.

Heavy is a class thats different per racetrack depending on where you go, but at the bigger tracks, such as englishtown and atco and many other division one tracks the rules are as follows

1) Must run 9.00 et or slower
    2) Must pass tech and meet all rulebook specifications for how fast you wanto run (Ie. Parachute when running over 135 or 140 or whatever it is and rollcage rules)
    3) No electronics to alter your run, this includes, trans breaks, 2 steps (for the starting line, burnout box limiters are allowed i belive), automatic shifters, delay boxes, corssover boxes, throttle stops or like.. idk stuff of that nature.
    4) Any other combonation is allowed including turbos, blowers, any size engine, whatever fuel.

any other questions to the rules u can ask because theres probably some things u have questions about that i forgot to answer.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
      And it is still fairly simple, just depends on the abilities of the person.
      Its more like "The Ability of The money you can put down!!!" ha ha ha
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
        im glad were all finaly getting along.

Heavy is a class thats different per racetrack depending on where you go, but at the bigger tracks, such as englishtown and atco and many other division one tracks the rules are as follows

1) Must run 9.00 et or slower
        2) Must pass tech and meet all rulebook specifications for how fast you wanto run (Ie. Parachute when running over 135 or 140 or whatever it is and rollcage rules)
        3) No electronics to alter your run, this includes, trans breaks, 2 steps (for the starting line, burnout box limiters are allowed i belive), automatic shifters, delay boxes, corssover boxes, throttle stops or like.. idk stuff of that nature.
        4) Any other combonation is allowed including turbos, blowers, any size engine, whatever fuel.

any other questions to the rules u can ask because theres probably some things u have questions about that i forgot to answer.
        Dont you need an NHRA licence for that. Or is that only in California? Anything faster than a 10.50 or something like that. It was 11.99 but Cars straight from the show room run faster than that.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

umm, yhea, you might need a licence for running consistantly faster then a 10.00, but its not a divisional or national event, its just like sunday points series racing and usually u can slip under the radar if u run in the mid to upper 9's, especially in heavy. In super pro witch is unlimited fill electronics, they probably crack down more because theres alot more cars in the single digits. In any case, getting your licence shouldnt be that hard.
          [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Its more like "The Ability of The money you can put down!!!" ha ha ha
            yeah i was able to do a pretty big chunk. but after almost 20K in mods alone in less than 8 months i pretty much ran out, and have to slow down alot.
            '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
            '00 T/A Silver
            '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

In any case, getting your licence shouldnt be that hard.
              Here in So. Cal. you can go to Irwindale Speedy way which is an 1/8th and pay the fees and the try and and get it. But it is possible.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

well, that hurts. Getting a consistant launch directly off the brake with no electronic intervention is going to be tricky. If your overall first gear is tall enough you can get away with a high boost launch. The powerglide is probably a good choice. Something to think about, I would caution against a very high rear ratio though. Turbos like more of a load against the engine for maximum power output, you might want to overbuild the motor and keep it dialed back to run slower than a 9.0. Remember a turbo is exhaust driven not only from flow but also driven via heat from the combustion event. The more load, the more heat. Too easy of a gear and you won't get max power until you're almost done with the run. You might ET OK but your speed would likely be a little down. I suppose it all depends on how you want it. To retain steet manners at all, less on the motor and more on the boost is the way to go.

The other issue is getting the rear brakes to hold. Any time you start launching on the boost, especially in the larger cubes you have the tendency to push right thought the brakes. That's where a trans brake is a jewel, but evidently in heavy class it's not allowed. Big bummer. Check and see if an electronic wastegate for the turbo is allowed. If so, there's your ace up the sleeve. Computer controlled boost is very cool.

Comment

NHRA requires a "Competition" level license running under 10.00. As NHRA member tracks, E'town and Atco are required to follow the rules. From my experience, E'town is fairly strict on this. Atco is a bit on the sloppy side. The requirements include a physical form completed by a doctor, 6 runs observed by an NHRA certifed official, typically 3 passes part track (at E'town, they run them on the 1/8th track) to demonstrate ability to launch, and 3 passes full track, during which at least 2 of the passes have to be under 10.00 seconds.

Running under 10.00 also requires additional documentation regarding the serial numbers and expiration dates of the SFI-rated equipment required for the class, and the roll cage must bear the certification number stamp pfrom an authorized NHRA official. E'town and Island ask for this in tech. Atco, again does not seem to be as consistant.

It always makes me nervous when I see people looking at how they can skirt the regulations, or avoid complying with the rules. The safety rules are there to protect not only the driver, but also the car/driver in the other lane, and the people working on the track.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

To answer your original question, I would probably start out with a v6 plain janer. You are going to gut it and replace all of the suspension anyways. From there you have a good base to begin with. Good Luck...
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

I don't think you realize how much it takes to get a heavy, 3500lbs??, car into the 8s. You say a friend got his 95 down to 2800 lbs by just taking out the dash and he installed a lightweight cage. I have seen fully stripped drag Camaros with glass front, doors and windows that weighed in the 28 - 2900 lb range. Granted these had big blocks which weigh 150 lbs more and full 12 point cages, but something dosen't sound right there.
                      I would go with a big block of 600+ inches as I feel it will cost less in the long run. Your whole drive train has to be changed nothing stock will survive.
                      The chassis must be upgraded to handle all that power.
                      If you have deep pockets it can be done but keeping it streetable is a tough one.
                      I am currently building a 68 Camaro with a 600+ inch BB. It is fully gutted with a 16 point cage but I doubt this car will be under 2900 lbs. I guess I could make this car sort of street drivable, but it would be a real handful to drive anywhere with the high stall 4.56 gears and lots of noise and vibration. I have found in my experience a dual purpose car does not work. You can have a street car that runs pretty good, probably even get it into the 10s with a lot of work, but there will be alot of compromising. 8s however is a whole different world.
                      I have seen some 10 second late model Camaro/Firebirds for sale at around 20K. I did see one that ran in the 8s for sale but they wanted 85K for that one.
                      Anyway good luck with your project.

Comment

For the other pweson who was talking about turbo's and all this stuff, i dont know where he got that from, because i said that i wasnt going to run a turbo, just a 427 sbc. Yes it will probably be hard to stay perfectly consistant, but everyones in the same boat, and i just have to learn how to do it, With my trans am i power breaked to 1500 every time and 4 outof the 5 times i left between .090 and .099, obviously that wont win a race for me but its my basically stock trans am. As for the licence, my uncle has a 1993 probe that runs in SS/Gt-J i belive and holds the natl record at a 9.81 or 83 and hasent been asked for his licence even at national events. Allthough he doesnt run his car in eliminations like he does for the record, and usually hovers in the low 10.0's during eliminations. In any case, couldnt i just use my dads car, get my licence, and then be able to race whatever car i wanted?

Comment

and as for the other guy, there are no back sseats, inner fender walls, no computers lightweight suspension, no inner fender walls, and obvioustly the dash, and unlike the big motored cars, it doesnt have a full funny car cage. It does weight 2,850 and have a nice interior. However, there is a black trans am that runs in the ultra quick 8 with the big motor and full 4 stage nitrous and whatnot and when i go back to the track ill ask him how much he runs at

Comment

You really need to figure out what you are asking about..... you're jumping all over the map. The original question asked about a street legal car that could run at the track. You pointed out it will still have "blinkers". Now you're talking about a full all out track car. Which one are you asking about, or do you really have any idea? If not, you're just wasting people's time and looking for ways to argue with them, rather than learn something.

I'll leave you alone, since its obvious you don't believe anything I tell you

PS: "brake"
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

No, i said a track car that i could drive on the street. The other cars i mentioned on my last two posts have nothing to do with mine, i was just saying that you can make them light, by taking out all of that stuff. Im not going to drive it to the track, it wont have a/c it wont have any other luxury, it will just be streetable. Working blinkers, break lights, and whatever else i need... like front lights. It might be a little bit hevier then my frends but the only thing he doesnt have working are his blinkers. I dont really understaind whats the problem, if you look back, you will c who started to argue first.

Comment

No, i said a track car that i could drive on the street. The other cars i mentioned on my last two posts have nothing to do with mine, i was just saying that you can make them light, by taking out all of that stuff. Im not going to drive it to the track, it wont have a/c it wont have any other luxury, it will just be streetable. Working blinkers, break lights, and whatever else i need... like front lights. It might be a little bit hevier then my frends but the only thing he doesnt have working are his blinkers. I dont really understaind whats the problem, if you look back, you will c who started to argue first.
                                Its not that everyone was jumping on you, Its just like I said before, People are being Realistic. Everything is possible with enough money. LIke I said, Yeah my buddies car had everything working, Including the blinkers.
                                Eddie
                                2000 M6 Trans Am
                                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                                X