Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get The LS7 and twin Turbo it, Your looking at around 750+ with a good tune.
    The LingenFelter on the New ZO6 makes well over 1000hp. If you wanna go N/A then yeah maybe like really tall cam and head work and Tune, Shoot some NOS and your up around 750+, The only problem would be is planting that power. Your going to have to run some Full on slicks and all that good stuff and Im sure you can get mid to low 10's Im sure.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yhea, i see what your saying, but like, im not just looking for a number, this is going to be a full on racecar with working blikers, lights, breaklights, and maybe a bolt on muffler if to put it on the street. Im running for consitency and predictability, a bracket race. Twin turbos and all this other stuff are really only good for numbers there not the easiest cars to manage. A FULLY racing built 427 without nitrous or forced induction should still push out big numbers, and reducing the weight to under 3,000 lbs will also help a ton. With proper weight transfer and suspension im hoping to get away with not having to tub the car, even though i think it looks awsome with a fat slick sitten under there.
      [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
      Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
      11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

and would still leave streetable gears in it like 4.11's or whatever the next gear size up is, with a powerglide, so i can still drive 80 mph at like 3000 rpm)
        Where are you getting some of these ideas from. A Powerglide is a 2-speed automatic, and would not work all that well in a heavy 4th Gen. Oh.... you say you'll drop it under 3,000#. That would make it one of the lightest 4th Gens on the planet. Joe Overton runs his LT1 Firebird at under 3,000#. Lightweight pin-on plastic hood, full lightweight plastic dash replica, gutted doors with aluminum panels, super lightweight brakes, tubular everything...... etc.

Then there's the gear/trans issue. A Powerglide, being a 2-speed automatic, does not have an overdrive. So, with a 4.11 gear and stock diameter street tires, you're going to be turning over 4,300rpm in top gear.... not exactly what one might call "streetable". I'm guessing by "next gear size up" you mean the next higher numerical gear ratio. For a 12-bolt, that would be a 4.56 gear. Now your Powerglide equipped engine is spinning a cool 4,780 rpm at 80 MPH on the street.
        and off the foot break, and with gears as low as 4.11 or the next size up it probably wont be seeing numbers under 1.35 60 ft.
        You're going to be running with the top dogs if you can pull a 1.35 60-ft. I think the quickest stock (style) suspension 4th Gen I have ever seen is a 1.2x 60-ft.

It's almost like you have been looking at NHRA "stock" class cars.... which of course, are nowhere near "stock". While the engine may be stock in terms of dispacement (overbore allowed) and cam specs (lift and duration must be stock, but.... not the lobe profile). These cars achieve consistant 10-second times, with exotic suspension (I've seen costs as high as $35K quoted for the suspension on a top-level NHRA Stock class setup), huge wieght transfer, often using 2-speed and 3-speed automatics. And they pull very low 60-ft times. Is that what you are really after?

Check out the most recent issue of National Dragster. Al Corda has his 2001 Firebird LS1 Stock-class champion up for sale.... only $59,000
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

no i wanto run heavy, yes i know what your talking about, and i figured with a 1:1 ratio final drive of a glide with 4:11's the rpm would be lower. I dont wanto build a stock car, i know what that is. I just wanto build a car with full racing suspension in the front and back, slicks, lightened, and a 427 small block. 1.35 60 foots with full racing suspension shouldnt be that hard, with the right geating. Peter biondo races a firebird superstocker with much faster 60 ft times then that, and i know the price of one of those cars but the money reale comes in with building the motor, and doing what you can with the limitations your given. With a 427 those problems should go away as i wont have to push it to get the same horepower as the 346. All i want is for the lights to work, so i can operate it on the street. Is that any better?
          [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

btw my frends 95 camaro weighs 2850 with factory hood and both seats, no carbon fiber and full cage. he just gutted the dash, the inner fenders and all the racing suspension and bars he bought were alot lighter. And im not bein like an ass but everyone just jumped on my case when i said this when i dont think people understaind what im even talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
              btw my frends 95 camaro weighs 2850 with factory hood and both seats, no carbon fiber and full cage. he just gutted the dash, the inner fenders and all the racing suspension and bars he bought were alot lighter. And im not bein like an ass but everyone just jumped on my case when i said this when i dont think people understaind what im even talking about.
              Thats Understandable, Just everyone is being realistic. Like I have said before, I refer to my buddies Z28, and I mean he was pushing something much bigger than 4.11's and Had the full on drag Slicks and all and he was never able to pull anything close to 1.30" 60 foots. Even when he put the Wheelie bars. Then you have to remember, how your going to stop that car. Your going to be looking as Shoots and at least 4 piston calipers up front. The only reason he was able to build this was b/c he got sponsered by "Vortec". So I mean this is a pretty Big project man. Not saying you cant do it, as i always say, everthing has a price. The question is, will the price be worth it.

9.34- 1/4
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

well hopfully being really light, it will help, ill but 13' drag slicks on and yhea, i realize im going to need like 4.88's or 5.13's and then buy an over drive kit for a transmittion i wanto get. My dad 60 ft's 1.32 with a 388 stroker motor, making 605 crank hp with a 2900 lb race weight, he comes off the break, but with a bigger motor, hopfully i can get someware near there maybe 1.40's. But also remember this will be like a total racecar, not just a street car preforming miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                  Thats for Sure, your looking at 150+ mph in a quarter? Esh

Yeah We were pushing around 780hp and we would snap axles like crazy, ha ha. The TRans was good, We used a 3800 Stall converter. Did 100 foot wheelies before we got the Wheelie bars. But for sure, Real deep pockets. Sounds Simple to me.
                  yeah i'll "hopefully" go mid 10's and i still have stock suspension. no cage/harness and stock rearend and there's right at 25K in my car. oh yeah and did i mention that i only paid 5500 for the car originally.
                  '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                  '00 T/A Silver
                  '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
                    yeah i'll "hopefully" go mid 10's and i still have stock suspension. no cage/harness and stock rearend and there's right at 25K in my car. oh yeah and did i mention that i only paid 5500 for the car originally.
                    Going 10's with stock suspension is pretty much impossible. You will never stick those 500ish hp to the track with a stock rearend. Maybe some Super Strong axles and some 4.11 gears. Then your going to have the control arms replaced and the pan-hard bar. Some Skinnies up front and all that. Its not as easy as some people make it out to be.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

how big of a tire can you fit under those stock wheel wells? both diameter and width?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
                        how big of a tire can you fit under those stock wheel wells? both diameter and width?
                        your looking at around a 315 without it rubbing, and thats still within the fender. Have not heard any wider than that. Injuneer might be able to help you out with that. We stuffed 315 Nitto Drag Radiels on my brothers Camaro. They are mounted on 17X11" wide ZL1 rims. Rubs on really hard cornering, and he has a Pan-hard and control arms and Eibach lowering and Relocation brackets. For what your going to do, some 15" rims with some sticky M/T or Hoosier Slicks.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Let me set the record straight on this thread. Someone needs to step up and open the door to harsh reality. First, If you plan on running at the track, you'll need to pass tech inspection according to the class that you plan to run.

What class do you plan to run?

Next, I hear mixed signals as far as this being a prue race car, but then streetable comes into the conversation. In order to ofter any meaningful recommendation according to what is allowed for a particular class. So......

Then, certain compromises can be made in order to achieve the required goals of race catagory and the level of streetability that you wish to retain. Without identifying what class you plan to run, the rest is pure speculation. Fred tried to allude to that in his post, I think the point was missed.

In order to acheive your goal, you must first clearly identify the goal you wish to acheive and that means being rather specific...... not "I wanna go 9s off the foot break"(sic). You must clearly define the goal and then develop a plan to acheive the goal within the rules of the class. If you don't plan on running at the track, than much of the speculation is meaningless. Just drop in a big motor in a lightweight car with a bulletproof engine and transmission. Hopefully the suspension doesn't break, hopfully the chassis doesn't twist, hopefully someone doesn't get hurt.

If you plan on physically racing at the track, then see the below

Comment

see post number 19, the 2nd,3rd,4th,and 5th words. If you dont know what heavy is then thats a diff story, and i will explain it to you.

Comment

Missed it, sorry. Since I don't have the rulebook handy, kindly explain it or post a link online for the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                                Going 10's with stock suspension is pretty much impossible. You will never stick those 500ish hp to the track with a stock rearend. Maybe some Super Strong axles and some 4.11 gears. Then your going to have the control arms replaced and the pan-hard bar. Some Skinnies up front and all that. Its not as easy as some people make it out to be.
                                yes I am aware of this, I should have stated it better, like I have the "potential" for mid 10's. But I am lacking rearend and suspension. and it's more like 600ish hp but yeah I understand your point. And it is still fairly simple, just depends on the abilities of the person.
                                '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                                '00 T/A Silver
                                '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

Working...
                                X