No announcement yet.

GM & SLP Just messed up BIG time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-using the Firehawk name on something other than a Firebird shows zero originality and/or confidence in the product the are trying to sell. If that's bashing Dave and Ed, then so be it.

SLP is a company based around performance-minded buyers. The people who purchase SLP cars are usually very knowledgeable about the product. However, SLP is selling this car as if no one would know or care. That brochure says it all.

Example - GM is using the ZR1 moniker again. Difference is, they are using it on a Corvette with ultra-high performance. Some of us here don't agree with the design ideas (clear window in the hood?), but at least they did right by the name. Now imagine if GM decided to use the ZR1 name on the new Malibu. Nice enough car, but certainly no ZR1. As Fred mentioned, a bad decision is a bad decision.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

well...suddenly im being scolded and told that the information i posted here about the name firehawk and the lease from bridgestone firestone is wrong.....

all i did was repeat exactly what was told to me by slp "back in the day".

im done commenting on this whole thing.

yall have fun.

quite frankly, i could care less. my hawk is gone and my comp ta is gone and im gone from that segment forever as far as im concerned.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

No doubt there is a passion when it comes to the 3rd and 4th generation Firehawk and how SLP was involved. Let's not forget the fact that change is constant, and things aren't the way they used to be. I can't say I'm happy about SLP and GM's marketing, there's not much I can do about it and the last thing the world needs is another armchair quarterback telling it how it should be. They will do what it takes to generate income, sometimes they have a good idea, sometimes it stinks.

Comment

We, the enthusiast, is only a small, very small, portion of the buying public. As much as I dislike, or find the new G8 Firehawk, they are indeed in business to make money...and if selling out is in the agenda, well, it's a private business and nothing we can do other than voice our opinion and outrage and hope they'll listen.

Why not call it G8-R? That's pretty cool...go with all the other "R"s out there.

Please let the Firehawk name die in peace...it doesn't belong on anything else.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

It makes sense to put out a performance model of the G8 based on the V8 version. Why the V6? ...and, why use the name Firehawk? Oh well, I am not in the market for much of GM's or SLPs stuff anymore. ...the old saying; can't polish a turd no matter how many stickers, badges, and names are used. My last new car was a Jeep, and my next new car will be a Jeep.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think I need a Vette like Ken's, then I could easily forget the whole deal.

Comment

Funny thing is...not that I like the idea of recycling the Firehawk name or anything....but if the Firehawk crowd feels slighted, try owning a 1996 Ram Air car BUILT by SLP Engineering.

Talk about being abandoned and receiving no love...good god. SLP won't give us the time of day...we've become the child of the mistress they choose not to recognize.
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Al, My SLP built 97 Camaro SS and I agree with you completely, and understand how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Funny thing is...not that I like the idea of recycling the Firehawk name or anything....but if the Firehawk crowd feels slighted, try owning a 1996 Ram Air car BUILT by SLP Engineering.

Talk about being abandoned and receiving no love...good god. SLP won't give us the time of day...we've become the child of the mistress they choose not to recognize.
                    I just had my permit closed on my new garage, and I drove my '79 Trans Am and parked in the Garage last night. The '97 is still sitting outside and most likely will stay outside while I work on other projects. For some reason, there is just little interest in the 4th gens specifically the LTx cars even among people like me who have owned owned f-bodies for over 20 years. I tried to sell mine, but it isn't worth anything anymore. Unfortunately, SS, WS6, and Firehawk f-bodies = big yawn. I am part to blame because I really don't care anymore along with a whole lot of other people.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Since the G8 is selling like typewriters the point will be moot in about a year or so. The local dealer here has a LOT of G8s sitting in the lot. Overpriced cars that get no love from GM just like the GTO did. I say about
                      100-200 "fireNOTS" will be sold then the program will be scrapped. Who wants to take this bet???
                      2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

My gut tells me that someone is going to make an LTx compatible variant (most likely GM) that will drop right in. Yes, the LSx is superior in many ways, but there are a lot of vehicles out there using LTx engines, with no easy way to drop in a new motor. The number of things that must be done when going over to an LSx are daunting.

Who knows, I bet the guys who owned muscle cars from the 60's never thought they could pick up a catalog and buy a drop in engine for their car like they can now. It's only a matter of time until something better than the LSx emerges. Then, the LTx family will be looked at again for those who are looking to replace their tired motors. Personally, I'd love to see an LSx design, that allows you to use the LTx transmission and engine controls. It would be plug - n- play.

Back on subject..
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          No doubt there is a passion when it comes to the 3rd and 4th generation Firehawk and how SLP was involved. Let's not forget the fact that change is constant, and things aren't the way they used to be. I can't say I'm happy about SLP and GM's marketing, there's not much I can do about it and the last thing the world needs is another armchair quarterback telling it how it should be. They will do what it takes to generate income, sometimes they have a good idea, sometimes it stinks.
                          Now this just may be the best post I have seen on this subject yet. Very well put. Are you crazy trying to apply logic to this mess?

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

If our purpose as a community is to kiss Pontiac or SLP's butt, count me out.

PROST!
                            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

I admit i've been buying SLP products since 1988. I dont agree with the firehawk thing but you gotta admit they still make good products.
                              2000 Z28 SLP sub frames, J&M LCA's, KYB shocks, Waitforme tuning. Ported TB & intake 35/22 swaybars, Firehawk tires

Comment

Working...
                              X