Downright sick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshu
    For me to get a concealed weapons permit it PA all I need to do is go down to the courthouse with my application, a $35 check, and two forms of ID and bam I am good to go. IIRC you get it the same day. That's how easy it is here. In some other states its crazy hard. The point I am trying to make is that some states have laws that really turn out guns easily while others are more cautious. I could purchase a ton of weapons in one state and go to a gun show somewhere else and liquidate all I bought. Are there any background checks on private sales at these shows?....No! There are so many loopholes that need to be shut which is why I favor stricter laws.

The assault weapon ban needs to be reinstated with some harsh penalties. There is no justifiable reason to own one. "It looks pretty in my collection" is not a good enough excuse to make these available. We have harsher laws for the possession of marijuana than we do deadly weapons.
    I can tell you that MOST CRIMINALS will not even go through that process to carry concealed. They don't care. So making it harder to get a cpl would accomplish what? It would make it harder for the citizen to carry legally.

What part of "BANS DON'T WORK!" don't you get? How about stricter penalties on the people who use guns to commit crimes?
    ie. CRIMINALS
    There is no justifiable reason to own that firehawk is there? Is there a "right to keep and bear Firehawks" that I don't know about somewhere? NO! It is part of the American dream that we can do whatever makes us happy as long it is constitutionally legal.

We have harsher laws for the possession of marijuana than we do deadly weapons.
    BS
    What is your idea of a "deadly weapon"?

I guess the thing is, you should do some real investigation instead of relying on what other people tell you. Let me clarify. THERE IS NO KIND OF GUN CONTROL THAT WILL AFFECT CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES INVOLVING GUNS. No ifs, ands, buts, what-ifs,...... nada, nilch, zero! It has been proven by past laws here and in other democratic/republic nations. How much MORE proof do you need? Why is it people like yourself don't even think to go after the real problem (CRIMINALS) instead of the symptom? So you would rather take cough medicine for the rest of your life to soothe the cough instead of finding the cure to the common flu?
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Israel does this. Mandatory militart service for I think two years, that includes basic weapons training.
      I think Switzerland does too. A friend of mine's mother is Swiss.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by FroSSty
        If we are going all hypothetical, here's one. What if we trained students on the importants of gun safety/handling from elementary up to high school and encouraged them to carry for self defense when they become 18. Teach youngsters that a gun is not to be feared but respected. Teach them that it is a tool used for hunting, target shooting, and especially self defense. Get them accustomed to seeing guns being carried and used in a respectful and responsible way by adults so that it takes the curiosity away and shows them that guns are not the problem but criminals who use them improperly are.
        Have you ever noticed that these gun crimes rarely happens in rural America? That's because in rural America parents still teach gun safety from an early age. Funny how most of the gun crimes happen in urban liberal America where they teach abstinence from guns.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

CRIMINALS
          It's not just criminals! Did the shooters at Columbine or VATech have criminal records?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

It's not just criminals! Did the shooters at Columbine or VATech have criminal records?
            Did they aquire the guns legally?

Comment

From what I remember, the Columbine kidsgot the guns from their parents. That right there goes to show that if a criminal wants a gun, all they have to do is get(steal) one(or more) from a family member. Which they can get even if strict laws are in place. So where do the laws end? What it boils down to is teaching your children right from wrong. That is something parents don't do now a days. You should know that being a teacher. You see it everyday.

The kid at VATech brings up another point. Have you ever noticed that these mass shootings only happen in places that are "gun free" zones. Schools, malls, churches... You never see mass shootings at the gun range or a gun show or a police department do you? Click Me (funny but true)

Go figure.

Jeff makes yet another good point about rural America...
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              <Motor out

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                Did they aquire the guns legally?
                As far as I remember, The columbine kids basically stole the guns they had from their parents. The kid from VATech bought his legally IIRC. One more question. Why should trained and qualified teachers not be allowed to carry a personal protection firearm in the classroom? If for no other reason than to make a homicidal kid think twice about trying to shoot up a school. If said kid knew that there was going to be SOME kind of armed opposition, it would probably dissuade him from attempting it.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                <Motor out

Comment

The weapon was had by man with felony convictions.

So the man was in posession of the weapon illegally.

Explain to us how passing a law to make the weapon illegal for ME to own would change the facts when he was already in possession illegally?

Do you think he is going to say to himself "Self, I better turn this gun in. It was one thing to be breaking only one law by owning it, but now I'm breaking two laws so I'd better hurry up and turn it in"

Really?
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Remember, the U.K. did away with almost all guns years ago- I guess that means that criminals won't have guns , right? WRONG! Or Japan, where you can't even own a sword, let alone a gun- criminals there must not have guns.... GUESS AGAIN! Criminals don't seem to pay attention to the laws, the only think that happens is that you disarm the law-abiding portion of society- making it easier for criminals to get away with crime-

In every state where the carry laws have been relaxed, violent crime has gone down- hmm, must be all those 'vigilantes' running around....NOT! Criminals aren't always stupid- when their victims may be able to fight back, they either look for easier targets, or trade burglary for armed robbery-

If you are afraid of guns, learn responsible, safe gun handling. Far more people are killed in this country by cars, but you don't see me trying to take your car away from you. Why on earth does anybody 'need' 300 horsepower, anyway? It's dangerous, irresponsible- nobody needs cars, they all should take the bus- You beginning to see the analogy?
                    2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                    "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Why should trained and qualified teachers not be allowed to carry a personal protection firearm in the classroom? If for no other reason than to make a homicidal kid think twice about trying to shoot up a school. If said kid knew that there was going to be SOME kind of armed opposition, it would probably dissuade him from attempting it.
                      Probably one of the worst ideas that I've ever heard of.
                      I just went down to the teacher's lounge here and took a poll. This idea lost 17-0.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Probably one of the worst ideas that I've ever heard of.
                        I just went down to the teacher's lounge here and took a poll. This idea lost 17-0.
                        This says only one thing…17 out of 17 of your colleagues prefer to be a victim.

…spineless dreamers with no concept of reality.
                        '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                        '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                        '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                        '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                        '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                        My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                          This says only one thing…17 out of 17 of your colleagues prefer to be a victim.

…spineless dreamers with no concept of reality.
                          Are you insane?

Could you imagine having lets say half of the professional population at the school I work at have a weapon. That is 74 armed teachers. Chances of one getting lost or stolen? Pretty high considering we deal with enough shit during the day that keeps up preoccupied. The fact that no school has implemented this retarded policy you came up is because ITS RECKLESS. I'm teaching a class while focused on the material I am presenting. Meanwhile someone sneaks up behind me and grabs the weapon out of my holster.

And watch yourself Mark. One of those "spineless dreamers" you are referring to is a first louie in the army reserves (airborne) that just got back from Afghanistan in October.

I'm done with this thread.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Let remember to keep things in perspective, this thread has run for a bit without things getting out of hand.......... and it's on the edge as we speak.

keep it civil.

Comment

Let's remember that criminals/insane people always know what they are going to do before you do. It wouldn't matter if it were a gun, a screw driver or an ice stick. If you can be hurt by it, it can be used against you and no defense will help. Care to put a ban on screwdrivers as well?
                              1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 216k+ miles and still moving fast
                              2004 Pontiac Grand Am SCT, but 35k on the clock
                              1983 Male Driver, driving Front Wheel Drive only, for now

Comment

Originally posted by 3800_Firebird
                                Let's remember that criminals/insane people always know what they are going to do before you do. It wouldn't matter if it were a gun, a screw driver or an ice stick. If you can be hurt by it, it can be used against you and no defense will help. Care to put a ban on screwdrivers as well?
                                Here in Gwinnett county Georgia a couple of years ago an "insane" guy went into an elementry school and hit a 1st grade little girl with the claw side of a claw hammer. I can't remember if she was OK or not. The point is just about anything can be used as a weapon. We need to ban claw hammers.

Comment

Working...
                                X