My car vs. a 350Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightrage
    I was thinking about a FWD as they're so much cheaper but i'd really love an AWD. Not into spending tons of money though. I don't care how "collectable" they are, i'm not spending $8,000 on a 5 speed AWD Eclipse with 100k+ miles on it. I've been looking like a nutcase but all i can find that are even reasonably priced are FWD's. If i really catch DSM fever i'll just get a Plymouth Lazer. They're only FWD's and they're just as good only much much cheaper. I'm also considering a Starion/ Daytona/ Conquest. Heard nothing but good about them. They're pretty cheap too assuming you can find one. Time to do some research
    I know the conquest very well. If you need anything let me know. You will fall in love with that car. Much better than a DSM in my opinion. It has it's quirks and hold backs, but it's such a rare car. You don't see much around. You will get more looks, questions, and compliments on your quest than you will in your f-body, I promise.

Daytona is in no way related to a Conquest/Starion, btw. Daytona's are nasty
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      I know the conquest very well. If you need anything let me know. You will fall in love with that car. Much better than a DSM in my opinion. It has it's quirks and hold backs, but it's such a rare car. You don't see much around. You will get more looks, questions, and compliments on your quest than you will in your f-body, I promise.

Daytona is in no way related to a Conquest/Starion, btw. Daytona's are nasty
      Really? I thought they were all the same car bah, no matter. Where do you start with those? I'm not sure about it as it probably doesn't get very good gas mileage and it has no safety features so my insurance will skyrocket and i'll be right back where i started with gas. I just dumped $30 in the tank today. It's costing me $30 a week and all i do is go 100 highway miles every Saturday and maybe 20 city during the week between work and school. Freakin rediculous. It really makes me wonder if i have some internal motor work done. I get horrible gas mileage and it always feels like the tires are going to break loose when i'm in 1st. the guy that had it before me just used it to go back and forth between Long Island and Penn. so it's all highway mileage. He claims he got 30 MPG on the highway although i guess it's possible. The computer i'd assume has to readjust when you get off the parkway so that could be a reason. I read on thirdgen.org that you get better gas mileage just having it in gear and driving than you do coasting in neutral (which would be pointless on the highway anyhow). They said it was computer related. My family thinks i'm crazy. I really should just get an economy car like a Jetta but i don't know if i'm capable of dealing with something that lacks any form of power. Low end torque has saved me from many a problem. I've gunned it around people that were about to pull out in front of me and left me with no room to stop. 2 weeks ago there was a drunk driver swerving all over. I was on the parkway at 60 MPH, i went from 6th to 5th-4th-3rd while still doing 60- 65 ish and i just hammered it past him like i was strapped to a jet. Still wish i had called the cops on the guy If i read in the newspaper the next day that a drunk driver hit and killed someone, i'd never have forgiven myself. It's situations like that that make me weary of turbo lag. Even a split second can make a world of difference. I'm nearly impossible to please but my throttle response makes me drool. So amazing. The instant i touch the gas, that car gets going. I wish my car had the same pull up top as it does off the line. Off the line performance just isn't right for me. Not around here anyhow. Bright red sports car+ loud exhaust +screeching tires, all topped off by a driver who (from what people tell me) looks like he's 14, throw in a few dozen cops and people cutting out from sidestreets and you've got a grade "A" recipe for disaster.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

keep the lead outta your shoes and the quest will get great mileage. I have gotten as much as 28 MPG after my first rebuild.

Starquest

Daytona

Starquest is so much prettier, inside and out.

The Conquest handles great. Independent rear, limited slip, it's a really nice setup. Hooks great, takes turns great, awesome steering radius.

It also has every option, even climate control ac, cruise control, radio controls on the wheel, standard leather, etc... It has a stock alarm, and auto seatbelts. The only safety option it doesn't have it an airbag. I pay 80/month on mine and that's on my own policy, etc...
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

also, daytona is a dodge/chrysler. Conquest is straight up mitsubishi. It isn't even a DSM. Chrysler owned enough of mitsu at the time to have a mitsu released with chrysler badges. That's all. Everything on the car is three diamond. It says "Imported for chrylser." That's the only place it has the chrylser name.

Comment

It's really that good of a car? I've seen them with T-tops too so that's awesome. Guess i'll start looking Shat does it take to make them quick? I was thinking some head porting and maybe a cam+ roller rockers to free some power up on whatever car i get but i don't want to go crazy and be right back where i started with crap gas mileage.

Also, where are you from. Isn't insurance based on population density of your area? Apparently Long Island is as populated as some major cities so insurance companies rape you remorselessly on insurance.
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I'm going to throw a different opinion into the thread........

If you plan on getting a Mitsubishi or Mitsubishi based product, I hope you are a good mechanic. They WILL break and when they do, plan on a decent amount of downtime due to parts availability. I know this to be the case, I've owned them and twisted wrenches for friends that owned them.
              they blow head gaskets left and right, transmissions break, clutches burn, etc.
              If you want something that you can use as a daily driver that gets great mileage, it's simple...... get a normally aspirated 4 cylinder and don't beat on it like you expect it to perform. An example would be my 96 Accord. If floored, it takes a leasurely stroll to 60 in about 8-9 seconds, still cruises great at 80+ while returning 30 mpg at that same 80 mph. If I drive the speed limit, I get as much as 37 mpg and frequently drive almost 500 miles on a tankful. I just crank up the stereo, relax and enjoy the ride. Would I rather be driving my f-bod? Sure..... but I confine that to around town driving on days off and such to keep the miles from rolling up too quickly. Another thought is to pick up a used 93-02 V6 f-body with a 5 speed. Still sporty, decent mileage too.

It is my honest opinion, even though DSM can be fun performers, it would be the worst choice you could make unless you were a mechanic. Even then, I would rather be putting my time into something else.

Comment

There is no available t-top conquest. There is a gullwing, but we never got one. Japan only. Maybe only a few of those made.

Joe is right but at the same time he isn't. All cars do break, esp. old ones. A conquest is by no means a DSM. The trans is bulletproof, and is being used on a lot of low 12 high 11 second conquests. Even a 10 second sprayed one. I haven't heard of anyone blowing one in my 3 years of ownership. DSM's are another story, the whole drivetrain of those is a mess. Clutch on a conquest is not a problem. Joe, every car is different. I have been with this car for years, and around the forums, I can tell rage everythign that will go wrong with his car before it happens

Parts availablity is not a problem. Never needed something I couldn't find at any autozone or junkyard easily and the best part.... CHEAP. Water pump, 40 bucks. Starter, 50 bucks. Go price that stuff up for your F-body.

Conquest is the EASIEST car you could ever possibly work on, and easiest to troubleshoot. You will not find a more simple car. Lots may be just as simple, but not more simple.

Head may crack if it overheats. if you keep your cooling system in order it should be fine.
                Head gasket may blow under a lot of boost.
                You WILL spin a rod bearing sometime. They're recalled, so you can get it fixed for free at a dealer. They wear prematurely.

Then again that's like saying all black people can jump. There are a ton of people with stock conquests with over 200K on the clock. It's people like me that mod the hell out of them and break them all the time. My first conquest went 140K problem free. It had a rusted gas tank, and I modded the hell out of it. Spun a rod at 155K. Never blew a head gasket, cracked a head or anything like that Stock clutch lasted this long as well, when I pulled it, it was in great shape. So was the flywheel.

Conquest trans and flywheel and entire drivetrain is very strong. Lots of guys running crazy times on stock trans and rear end. And the best part, you don't have to upgrade a single suspension comp. up to 500-600 HP.

Get a Conquest for 500 bucks, rebuild the motor or something, or at least replace the engine bearings, remove the balance shafts (50 dollar kit), and the car will be bulletproof. There is an aftermarket head available, same one I trashed, for around 300 that is a strong head.

Here are some videos of a buddy of mines car.

http://www.t-racing.com/fastest_free_mod_quest.htm

That was a 13 second run on an all stock car. Just upped boost and exhaust I think.

http://www.t-racing.com/mid_michigan_racing.htm

That is their 12 second run beating a z06 this past summer. I'm sure they'll be in the 11's this year, easily. No nitrous. Stock trans, stock flywheel, stock rear end. Just a better clutch and slicks... I think. Either slicks or Nitto 555's.

Just wanted to clarify some things.

Comment

Just so you know, I wouldn't rec. this car for a daily driver. If you want a DD get a civic or something. It is a fun car though.

Comment

as for the traction control.... it probably would slow him down becuase with a system like that, if it senses a wheel spinning it will apply brake to the wheel until it gets traction, its not like nissian put it in there for racing, its for safety, so yeah it will probably slow its launch time down.
                    89 305 TBI Camaro RS

http://members.cardomain.com/camarodude89

Comment

I don't think i can sell it. I thought about it all day at work. I thought abot V-6 F-bodies, a Civic, an Accord, anything to replace it's more economically sound. It seemed like the right idea then suddenly, i thought about how i take turns at triple the posted speed limit. That's why i got the car. I'll just have to work around other problems. Maybe a nice tune up will boost the fuel economy and well, i have been a little heavy on the gas lately. Some time down the road, i need to upgrade the suspension so i can take turns even faster. I also need a WS6 style hood (98+) An Civic would be great. 30+ miles to the gallon, i could just use regular oil in that as opposed to synthetic in my T/A, half as many spark plugs and wires, not to mention you can actually do a tune up on that car without wanting to smash something. Spring is right around the corner though so i think i should just stick through it.....that is until next week when i change my mind again lol.
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                      X