Audiophiles! Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MN6WS6
    Just because you don't have sub out doesn't mean you can't have a sub. Buy an amp with a built in crossover for low pass (which most of them have), y-adapt off your mids and high amp, and run those cables to the bass amp. We've done it that way for years, long before any radio came with sub out. The only downside is that you won't have bass control from the dash, unless you get an amp with a remote gain control.
    I know. I have one with a crossover in it and one without as well as the 1/2 din crossover that I could put anywhere. All I was trying to say is that I would have to do a lot of work to get rid of the Bose stuff completely. I have the stuff to do it too. Like I also said, there isn't a place to mount amps now. I'm probably going to get the amp ramp for it and do all of that IF this doesn't work out. But I just wanted to let anyone who might be disappointed with their Bose that there is a way to do a partial conversion just like TrazeZ did by adding an amp using the factory Bose head unit. Everyone in the stores says you have to gut it and start over. That's not true.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Everybody in the stores is telling you that for two reasons. #1 is that it makes them more money. #2, and especially if you have a good installer talking to you, is that you're going to have to rip all that Bose out eventually anyway, so you might as well get it all done at once. It saves you money over the long haul as they can group the labor and charge you less. Also, your car has less down time as they only have to pull it apart once. Finally, if you were to have bought the Bose adapters (which only work if your radio's powered outputs were functional), then you would spend in the ballpark of $50 for that one part that you're going to eventually chunk anyway when you get rid of all the Bose. So while they are trying to upsell you, there is also a reason behind it, and it's not just to fatten their pockets.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
      X