What Kind of Motor Oil Do You Use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Motor Oil Do You Use?

I've always been a Valvoline fan for standard oil, and Mobil 1 for synthetics (post 50k miles). I was just wondering what everyone uses here? Is there an oil that "performs" a bit better? I've heard some good things about Royal Purple, but it's tough to find in auto parts stores in my area. Is it worth looking for? Any gains from it? Thanks!
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Mobil 1. Use the best, forget the rest.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I don't know how Royal Purple performs in comparison to other oils because the first day she came home, I already was under there changing the oil.

I can say this though, my car does something consistently every time I start her up. When she first comes on, the oil pressure stays at constant 45ish, not pegging at all. After about maybe 5-8 minutes (depending on outside temps), the oil pressure drops to slightly under the first mark at idle. When this happens, I can legitimately say that my car pulls harder every time. I don't know if it has to do with royal purple or whatever. They do claim a possible 3% hp increase...but I'm usually pretty skeptical when it comes to claims like that. I did buy it because I heard really good things on it, and oil to me is an extremely important part....but like I said, it does pull harder when that pressure drops.

The downside....5 quarts of royal purple + k&n oil filter = about $50 per oil change.

I get royal purple at napa...they almost always have it in stock, and if they don't, they will order it for you at no extra cost.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Mobil 1

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

You might want to go to the CamaroZ28.com site, and do a "search" for posts by "Patman". He has spent a lot of time evaluating different oils in his engine, using oil analysis as a measure of engine wear.

He has some interesting data on several motor oils. Interestingly, he claims, and has viscosity data to support, that the Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 synthetics are actually on the low side of a true "30" viscosity, and makes the case for using a 10W-40 Mobil 1. He also has some data on (I believe??) a Castrol synthetic 0W-30, made in Germany that has produced the lowest wear results (as measured by post-change analysis) in his LT1. Not sure if you could extend the results to the LS1, but his posts do make interesting reading, since they are backed up with hard data.

One thread:
          http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238136
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Great find, Fred! Definitely a good read. I used to use Castrol Syntec in my Lumina Z34. It seemed to muffle the chronic knocking from the Twin-Dual cam 3.4 disaster.

Another question I had... At start-up, I seem to get a bit of valve knock for a few seconds. Is this common with the LS1? I know some LT1 guys around my area say it's common. Thanks again!
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

Comment

Valvoline ! ! ! I ran my third generation camaro almost 300,000 miles on the same motor - without rebuilding - on regular valvoline 10W-30. And believe me, I did not baby that car at all - I ran the heck out of it 100% of the time!
              Darrin C
              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Enough oil info and opinion to make your head spin!!

I'm running Castrol GT-1 Synthetic 5w-30 right now.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I blend my own Mobil 1 and regular mobil oil.....7 quarts of mobil 1 would put me in the poor house. I just recently switched to this after using Valvoline durablend for years. The bearings were worn pretty good on my last stroker.....dont know if any of it could be contirbuted to the oil, but I figure I should switch.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    Mobil 1.
                    Same here. Changed every 3K miles.

I did head gaskets at 120K miles. The cylinders still had the factory crosshatch hone and there was no visible wear. I might opt for the 10-40 from now on though.

Comment

I use mobile one
                      LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Mobil 1/ ACdelco 1218 filter
                        I LOVE COBRA'S -
                        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                          I don't know how Royal Purple performs in comparison to other oils because the first day she came home, I already was under there changing the oil.

I can say this though, my car does something consistently every time I start her up. When she first comes on, the oil pressure stays at constant 45ish, not pegging at all. After about maybe 5-8 minutes (depending on outside temps), the oil pressure drops to slightly under the first mark at idle. When this happens, I can legitimately say that my car pulls harder every time. I don't know if it has to do with royal purple or whatever. They do claim a possible 3% hp increase...but I'm usually pretty skeptical when it comes to claims like that. I did buy it because I heard really good things on it, and oil to me is an extremely important part....but like I said, it does pull harder when that pressure drops.

The downside....5 quarts of royal purple + k&n oil filter = about $50 per oil change.

I get royal purple at napa...they almost always have it in stock, and if they don't, they will order it for you at no extra cost.
                          Yeah, but if you think about it, its almost $50 to have your oil changed by some other place (without a coupon or anything). I consider it worth it

I've run Royal Purple 10W-30 in the Z since I got her and the Jeep for over 2 yrs. now (along with a K&N oil filter). Just in the Jeep alone I noticed a biiiig difference in throttle response, power and gas mileage. Not quite as much of a difference in the Z (because I didn't bother to try anything else lol), but she does seem to run great on it. Definitely a good choice IMHO
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Im going to have to try Royal Purple.... at least once. The T/A is running Valvoline right now. I did a change right after I brought her home. This brings me to another interesting point... Are the K&N oil filters worth it? I'm not so much worried about the cost as $50 bucks a change is only $100 a year on oil changes. I won't put 1,000 miles a year on this car, so I'm not overly concerned with cost.
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

Comment

I was told that they have a great flow and filtration rate...but have seen no proof of this. However, they do have the needed anti-drainback valve seem to be at least a decent filter...not a bad choice I think
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X