This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raroZ28
    Yes, but on the streets around here, not many people run that. This is a club of a few hundred members nationwide. And 12's is lowballing it. From what I heard I'll be over 400 HP with possible 11 second timeslips. I just don't want to say that and sound like a jackass later when I click off chitty times.
    raro, you need to spend more time on Woodward if you think not many cars around here run 12s... the Motor City still lives up to its name, bro.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
      Anyone seen Jay lately?
      HOWDY!

Well, I think this thread has gone nowhere productive... no one changes their mind because someone calls someone ignorant or trash talks someone's car, blah blah... but that's another story

anyway...

I think there is a real difference between f-body guys and GTO guys - at least with today's cars (maybe not so much in the muscle car era). F-body guys just most often seem to be unable to look past a cars SOTP performance feel. They want the car to deliver brutal, unmasked performance and acceleration and not be concerned about "comforting" the driver from any of it. Look at the f-body. It's an absurdly long car. The nose is huge, the visibility is terrible, and its stance is bulky. The interior is functional, but far from pretty - and for those who have "leather" seats, you know you can find higher quality leather stitched on soccer balls. But because it has a powerful motor and performs well (and it looks aggressive), many people like it. I'm personally of the opinion that those things weren't enough to keep my interest in my car... it made it easy to sell it when the time came... I feel like I had outgrown it.

Those who prefer the GTO want something more from their cars than just break-neck, pants-wetting performance. The car is comfortable, the interior is beautiful, and its appearance is much more understated. You don't buy the GTO to turn heads the way you do for a Camaro or Trans Am... you buy it because it's an all-around package. Is the GTO ugly? No, certainly not. I don't think the looks do it justice, but it's far from an ugly car. I think a lot of people's frustrations on the looks of the car stem from having the WS6 being taken from them... they lost one of the most aggressive looking cars ever made, and replaced it with... a civil-looking sports coupe that more resembles a Grand Am than a firebreathing monster?!?!?! How dare they! No, seriously though... the car isn't ugly... just some people expected more. I'm one of them, I think they could have done better, but the looks don't completely ruin the appeal of the car for me... I notice the interior, the IRS, the ride quality, and can appreciate the car for what it is. The mistake so many people make is thinking these two cars were made to meet the same niche in the market, and they just weren't. If you want the no-compromise, no frills performance, then the f-body is your car of choice -- it always has been. The GTO is much closer to the CTS-V than it is the f-body.

Now, about the Mustang... comments of "I don't care how fast the Mustang is, I'll never drive a Ford" are total equals of when uppity Porsche owners say, "I don't care how fast the Corvette is, it's still a Chevy." Lame. The GT500 is amazing... 450 HP is huge... looks, as always, are subjective but I like them. Don't mention the "but it has a blower" argument... So what? The Grand National has a turbo... does that invalidate the car's performance? No, of course not.

Personally, I would choose the GT500 over the GTO also... the GTO is a very good car, but the GT500 is more appealing to me.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
        raro, you need to spend more time on Woodward if you think not many cars around here run 12s... the Motor City still lives up to its name, bro.
        I have been to woodward. I saw guys pulling cars off trailers there a few times. Those guys race for money and they race once in a while. I'm talking Daily driving. How can I describe it... I'm not talking about street racing or anything... On my way to the mall, I'll beat anyone on the way there, or whatever. Just anywhere, driving around. When that new corvette pulls up next to me on my way to work or whatever, I wanna give him a run if he messes around.

N20LT4Bird, what kinda cam you running with that? That's where I'm hoping to get a lot of my power from. I'm just curious what cam you have and how high revving it is. I don't really want my powerband to be over 6500 until I get a stroker.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

"Now, about the Mustang... comments of "I don't care how fast the Mustang is, I'll never drive a Ford" are total equals of when uppity Porsche owners say, "I don't care how fast the Corvette is, it's still a Chevy." Lame. The GT500 is amazing... 450 HP is huge... looks, as always, are subjective but I like them. Don't mention the "but it has a blower" argument... So what? The Grand National has a turbo... does that invalidate the car's performance? No, of course not.

Personally, I would choose the GT500 over the GTO also... the GTO is a very good car, but the GT500 is more appealing to me."

been buying and drivin muscle cars since 1967, aint bought no stinkin Ferd yet....not one...........and at 58 yarn old, i aint buying one now........

put that in your tail pipe and inhale it............

im gm bradda.....can you spell it? g.......................m

bwwwahahahahahahahaahahhaahahahahahaahhhhaahahaaaa aaa

(d&r)

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

N20LT4Bird, what kinda cam you running with that? That's where I'm hoping to get a lot of my power from. I'm just curious what cam you have and how high revving it is. I don't really want my powerband to be over 6500 until I get a stroker.

Its only an LT4 hotcam......which is definately my bottleneck N/A. It responds well to the nitrous. I kind of dont mind a little less n/a power (still run deep 12's n/a) for driveability sake. A big, lumpy cam makes the car that much more of a PITA to drive on the street....but I wouldnt mind stepping up to a cc306 or something.

Oh and I shift at about 6200 N/A and 6800 on the bottle.....
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
              Its only an LT4 hotcam......which is definately my bottleneck N/A. It responds well to the nitrous. I kind of dont mind a little less n/a power (still run deep 12's n/a) for driveability sake. A big, lumpy cam makes the car that much more of a PITA to drive on the street....but I wouldnt mind stepping up to a cc306 or something.

Oh and I shift at about 6200 N/A and 6800 on the bottle.....
              That explains your times. That cam is about as weak as they get. Combination motorsports makes some nice streetable big power cams... I talked to the guy for a while over the phone. He said the driveablity is great with a good tune for the cam I wanted. MadZ28 said he could have my car idling and running beautifully. Now I see why you left the cam outta your sig lol, put in a bigger bump stick dude.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

That explains your times. That cam is about as weak as they get. Combination motorsports makes some nice streetable big power cams... I talked to the guy for a while over the phone. He said the driveablity is great with a good tune for the cam I wanted. MadZ28 said he could have my car idling and running beautifully. Now I see why you left the cam outta your sig lol, put in a bigger bump stick dude.
                You talk like 11.7 @123 is slow........I know its not the fastest thing on four wheels, but the car makes enough power to run low 11's or even 10's...it pulls like a freight train......its the 60's footers that are the stumbling block. You will see. When you make the kind of power you want....then the name of the game is getting it to the ground. (without breaking everything from the flywheel back) Obviously, I can put a larger cam in the car and pick up 50 HP, but as it is, 500 RWHP and 600 RWft/lbs is already hard enough to run down the track.

You let me know when you get into the low 12's or high 11's out of a cam and head porting.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird

You let me know when you get into the low 12's or high 11's out of a cam and head porting.
                  I don't talk like it's slow, I'm talking like a guy with a ton of mods, a shot of nitrous, and a stroker is running high 11's, when people on cz28 are running 12.3's with stock lightly ported heads, crappy cc305 cams, and LT headers.

Never said your car was slow.

Comment

Working...
                  X