Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HottestZ28
    Yes i agree that "the mustang can out handle a f-body"

The "Mustang" will not out-handle the 4th gen f-body...I am not sure where that came from. The McPherson Strut system is no where near the capability of the uneven a-arm design of the f-body. The modified 4link in the rear binds under cornering. The only Mustang that can compete with the f-body is the Cobra with the IRS. However, it still has problems with the front that only Caster Camber plates can fix (sort of). This website provides everything you need to know about the Mustang suspension from '79 to '04.
    http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
      Yeah, but I think it is still mid-low 14's while the Lightning is in the 13's...

I remember a thread I was reading talking about it on ls1tech... I swear they said it didn't perform up to expectations...
      Check out Motor Trend a couple of issues back, they tested the SRT-10 up against Chevy's new SS Silverado and one other, I think. They said that it is by far the king of the hill right now as far as sport trucks go. They said it is yet to be seen what the next generation Lightning will do, but it is irrelevant at this point because it won't be out for another year or two? But they said that the SRT-10 is the fastest production truck they have tested.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Chevy's SS Silverado is a pretty pathetic excuse for a sport/muscle truck.

Now I am interested, I really want to see SRT-10 vs. Lightning times.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
          Yeah, but I think it is still mid-low 14's while the Lightning is in the 13's...

I remember a thread I was reading talking about it on ls1tech... I swear they said it didn't perform up to expectations...
          Huh? Motor Trend tested it and stopped the clock at 13.8, why would it be mid to low 14's? Are motor trends drivers that superior? Furthermore, I hear the traction is a real problem on these trucks due to the high torque at low RPM's, I wonder what they would do with drag slicks!
          1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
            Huh? Motor Trend tested it and stopped the clock at 13.8, why would it be mid to low 14's? Are motor trends drivers that superior? Furthermore, I hear the traction is a real problem on these trucks due to the high torque at low RPM's, I wonder what they would do with drag slicks!
            Actually... if anything Motor Trend's drivers are anti-superior.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

This may not be a popular view, but I really don't understand the point of a pick-up like the Lightning, the new Dodge SRT-10, the Silverado SS, etc. If you can't hook chains up to it to pull out tree stumps, load it with rock, tow with it, 4 wheel with it, dent the heck out of it, spot repair it, and do it all over again...then, what is the point? I buy the muscle cars for speed and such, and I use the trucks for hard work. I ripped the interior out of the back of my '77 K5, hauled landscape materials, rock, concrete, you name it...ripped all of my old fence polls out of two feet of concrete, pulled tree stumps, pulled cars out of the snow, pulled trailers, banged it against rocks up in the Rockies, and it still comes back for more. Although, I need something bigger and better for what I want to do. You better believe when I buy my Duramax or Cummins dually diesel, it will be put to the test as well. I guess I just don't understand buying a truck for its 1/4 mile time or the concept of luxury trucks/SUVs to get groceries. They were intended for hard work, ranching and farming, construction, towing trailers, etc.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I agree with Mark 100%

Comment

I'm looking though my mags now...I believe that 13.1 was the best time I have seen for the Dodge vs. 13.6 for the Ford back in 99.

I hope the results weren't in the buncha mags I sent to the trops in Iraq....
                  1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

I think these trucks make sense for some people. The whole truck/suv craze aside, some people may need a multipurpose vehicle. With the lightning or the SRT-10 you can still pull a trailer, haul a load of 2x4s, tow a boat, throw an ATV or motorcycle in the back, etc. Only difference is that when you want to have some fun you'll have the speed and handling(somewhat) to do so. Granted it'll never have the performance potential of a car but for someone that can't affod both and needs a truck it makes sense. Not everyone who needs a truck beats it up either. Trucks can be used the way a truck should be without tearing up the body. My Dad hauls all sorts of stuff around, tows trailers etc without tearing up his truck at all. If your work tears up your truck get a beater work truck that you don't care about the looks like markd79ta's K5. On a side note if you aren't hauling cargo, pulling a trailer, offroading etc there is no reason to own a truck. All these people driving trucks/SUVs that never tow or haul anything and have never even seen a dirt road much less offroad are just clueless. All these people would be much better off with a car or minivan. Luxury trucks and SUVs to me are a total waste....when was the last time you saw someone towing a trailer with an Escalade or go offroad in a Navigator. You can bet it dosen't happen often....Just one man's opinion on this subject..........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

I only know one person that goes off roading in his Navigator, but he's rich, so I guess he doesn't care, lol
                      1998 TA M6 SLP Lid, Cold Air and Bellow, Flowmaster 3", Centerforce DF, Fast Toys MAF ends, JET skip shift eliminator 312rwhp/366rwtq

92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC For Sale

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords

Comment

Working...
                      X