list all power drians here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
    i doubt u have a electric hatch pull down. my guess would to be to get a DVOM, hook it up to the battery and pull one fuse at a time, this is a quick way to find the circuit causing the drain.
    actually an elect hatch pull down would start up when i close the driver door right? well next to the rear driver side seat in the wall there is a motor sound some times , but it quites, schematics show nothing is there!
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
      actually an elect hatch pull down would start up when i close the driver door right? well next to the rear driver side seat in the wall there is a motor sound some times , but it quites, schematics show nothing is there!
      that dont sound right, but u have a electric hatch pull down? make sure its fully close and turns off completely when the hatch is closed. they are known to cause battery drains
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

i dont always use my back hatch and the motor sound does stop after a few seconds. also, i dont believe the 82 trans am had an electric pulldown!?! another thing, sometimes my radio will jump frequencies!?! its a few years old, a panasonic cd/radio, pre-mp3 car radio. the station changes, i think due to rpm variations. not all the time due more so recently. id say a major short. could it be the cause of the battery drain? however, there was a battery drain before i installed, when the previous owner had it. i removed his jensen car tuner before i ever noticed any problems.
        1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

mybe the battery wont hold a charge over time, mybe see which fuses have current flowing through them when off.
          2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND IT! there is voltage running through the interior lights' fuse when the doors are closed and the key is out!
            1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Mav, you need to measure the current draw. There is always a little for the clock and radio alarm, etc., but you need to hook up your ammeter in series with the fuse and see how much draw there is.

Comment

My suggestion is checking for an active drain at the fuse box. One by one, pull all the fuses and see what circuit is the culprit. I had this same frustrating situation on my 94. I eventually found an old aftermarket alarm system hidden under that dash that was draining power even though it wasn't turned on. Ripped that sucker out and no problems since.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  My suggestion is checking for an active drain at the fuse box. One by one, pull all the fuses and see what circuit is the culprit. I had this same frustrating situation on my 94. I eventually found an old aftermarket alarm system hidden under that dash that was draining power even though it wasn't turned on. Ripped that sucker out and no problems since.
                  when the key is on, my cars courtesy lights draw 11.86 and when the key was off and all doors where shut, the fuse socket still had 6.26 running through it.
                  1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Sounds like a drain in a retained power accessory module. The problem is I couldn't tell you where it is on a 3rd gen.

Comment

well, i had the meter set wrong there is not a single drain found when i checked the fuse box.
                      1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Working...
                      X