help, 2 codes, car died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for your help.

That timing set is made by "Precision" if this guy http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238298 is correct. Is that brand any good? Which brand should I get on the crank hub puller or timing gear pullers? Any old brand ok?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I've had read multiple places that if you go with an electric waterpump of any brand it takes alot of strain on your timing chain off extending the life of it greatly and loosing the necessity of going to a double roller later and faster in life.

Comment

I thought about it and I don't think I'm going to go with the electric pump at the moment. There are "lifetime warranty" standard pumps for $130, which I think should be sufficient. I'm not changing the cam or anything...just doing routine maintenence since I'm changing the opti. The motor's stock, so hopefully, everything will be fine.

Everything is gonna cost me $1000+. Wow, the price just keeps adding up.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well, I cancelled the order for the MSD opti. Summit says it looks to be mid summer for the estimated ship date now Looks like I gotta stick with crappy OEM

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            Well, I cancelled the order for the MSD opti. Summit says it looks to be mid summer for the estimated ship date now Looks like I gotta stick with crappy OEM
            If things keep going the way they are, the MSD unit might be available by....oh...lets say 2020!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              If things keep going the way they are, the MSD unit might be available by....oh...lets say 2020!
              lol Yeah, seriously. Well, you could always get the DynaSpark unit if you want something better than the OEM unit. Just a thought
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Dynaspark isn't being made anymore though is it? I thought they dropped production or the company was bought out and no longer have new units? Unless I didn't read it right.

The opti is off. Some rust inside. The terminals were corroded and some looked worse. #2 area where the plug boot plugs in was all corroded and rusted...looked horrible. Basically, it looked like it was a minimum 5 year old/50,000 mile distributer. Gotta wonder if it really was "new" when the supposed mechanic installed it.

Comment

Sorry, I guess I'm wrong. I can find it here: http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...cc366595abaecd

But I'm a bit leary considering the original company was sold - blueprints and all, and a new company is taking over. I wonder if it's still worth to try for only a couple hundred more?

Comment

Only one way to find out I suppose, although its not the greatest way to find out. I'd say its up to you man. Napa has a rebuilt OEM one for $130 I believe.
                    Steve

Comment

Thanks for the Dynaspark suggestion man...I think I'm gonna try it. It sounds very close to MSD's description. It does have a 1 year warranty anyway, so I guess if it did have a flaw, it would hopefully show up within the year. Otherwise, hopefully it'll be the last I need until a rebuild.

Comment

Well, I got my Dynaspark opti. Looks very nice. I'm glad the '93-'94 version is vented. I hope it's worth the extra few hundred.

I also replaced the timing set with stock OEM. I noticed lots of play with the old one, but the brand new set has some play too. After doing research, it seems quite normal for LT1s...so I hope that's the case. But the old set had lots of wear in the cam and crank sprokets, so I'm glad they're replaced. The hardest part was getting at the oil pan bolts...my hands will take a while to heal.

Comment

Definitely looks better than the last one I bet. Let me know if you need a hand puttin' everything back together
                          Steve

Comment

Well, I got my Dynaspark opti. Looks very nice. I'm glad the '93-'94 version is vented. I hope it's worth the extra few hundred.

I also replaced the timing set with stock OEM. I noticed lots of play with the old one, but the brand new set has some play too. After doing research, it seems quite normal for LT1s...so I hope that's the case. But the old set had lots of wear in the cam and crank sprokets, so I'm glad they're replaced. The hardest part was getting at the oil pan bolts...my hands will take a while to heal.
                            Looks psychedelic! Looks like it's spinning at 5,000 RPM on the floor!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                              Looks psychedelic! Looks like it's spinning at 5,000 RPM on the floor!
                              LOL, to me, it looks like Medusa
                              http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...gio/medusa.jpg

Thanks for the offer Steve, but I couldn't ask you to help on Easter. I got it all done today and it's running great so far but only took it out for 1 mile yet.

Comment

LOL, to me, it looks like Medusa
                                http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...gio/medusa.jpg

Thanks for the offer Steve, but I couldn't ask you to help on Easter. I got it all done today and it's running great so far but only took it out for 1 mile yet.
                                Bah, you know I'da been there regardless . Glad she kicked over and runs now . Hopefully its for more than a mile too
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X