No announcement yet.

What a great day... Z06 AND 911 Turbo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree with you, but I don't think that was the point of this thread. Of course, you can build anything to be fast. You can put minimal into a GN and make it very quick. You can even buy an '86-'93 Mustang for very cheap and make it fast. There was a huge debate on another site saying they could build up an '88 Mustang GT to be as quick for cheaper than an '02 WS6 (at the time when an '02 was brand new). However, the exotic appeal of the expensive/rarer car isn't there.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Clearly the only thing that matters as to what makes a superior car is how fast it goes down the quarter mile... nothing else matters...

I mean seriously... who could be bothered with things like driveability? Reliability? Corneing ability? Gas mileage? Comfort? Looks? etc...

The Z06 and 911 Turbo are so far superior to any f-body, Mustang (or any other drag car for that matter) that it isn't even worth saying much more...

Dave Vince, I'll take your $20,000 and invest it in a Honda CRX... we'll see who will be seeing tail lights.

Would I have a faster car? Probably, yeah... would I have a better car? Absolutely not.

You can make anything in this world fast. A fast crappy car becomes just a crappy car when it's doing the speed limit.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
        Norman,
        How does a C5 Z06 stack up against a C6? I've read they have very similar numbers. Isn't the LS2 a slightly bored LS6? Whats your opinion from someone whos owned both?
        Wow, where do I begin. I'll try to summarize. I'll break it down by what each car does better.

C5Z:
        Top end pull
        On the edge handling
        Road feel

C6 Coupe/Z51 package:
        Greater torque
        Quiet ride
        Refined feel
        Creature comforts and overall comfort

Feel free to ask specific questions. I'd be more than happy to answer.

Now, addressing some with narrow focus....

Some of us buy cars for their ability to perform in many aspects of performance and handling. Even for the ability for them to run like a scalded dog without sacrificing much in the area of comfort. I call this "Balance". I've owned a diversity of cars in my life and am at the point where I really prefer a well balanced car. Some care only for straight line performance. That is fine. There is no wrong or right. Just try to understand that some of us prefer other qualities and characteristics in an automobile and try to keep our minds open to the fact that others don't share our views.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Like mentioned before anything can be made to be fast as sh!t going straight, but the whole point of this thread was talking about and comparing high performance STREET machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
            Feel free to ask specific questions. I'd be more than happy to answer.
            Actually, I have a couple.

If there is something I learned from these boards, it's that it's not always about power, but it's also getting that power to the wheels properly.

My questions are which vette (if any) is more squirrely? Which one feels like it's getting that power to the wheels better?

Thanks!
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
              Actually, I have a couple.

If there is something I learned from these boards, it's that it's not always about power, but it's also getting that power to the wheels properly.

My questions are which vette (if any) is more squirrely? Which one feels like it's getting that power to the wheels better?

Thanks!
              The C6 hooks better IMO. The suspension is more refined and is more plush at cruising speeds. When launched, the softer suspension helps it hook. This is a negative when pushing lateral G's. Darn trade offs.

I wouldn't say either is very squirrely. Of course, I always have "active handling" enabled so it is really hard to tell.

Comment

That would be a tough choice to choose either car. Both are awesome. I would go with the C6 only because of the targa top. I love the Z06, but I also love an open roof.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                  That would be a tough choice to choose either car. Both are awesome. I would go with the C6 only because of the targa top. I love the Z06, but I also love an open roof.
                  If you told me I could only keep one. I'd keep the C6.

Now, the Viper GTS was squirrely.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                    The C6 hooks better IMO. The suspension is more refined and is more plush at cruising speeds. When launched, the softer suspension helps it hook. This is a negative when pushing lateral G's. Darn trade offs.

I wouldn't say either is very squirrely. Of course, I always have "active handling" enabled so it is really hard to tell.
                    Thanks Norm

That was something I was wondering for a bit now.

About a week ago, I was cruising and enjoying the day, when about a block in front of me, I see a brand spankin' new silver C6 about to make a left turn on to the street I was driving on. As this guy is making the turn, he punches it and does the most disgusting fishtail I think I've ever seen in my life I hardly ever see any vettes getting on it around me, so it did get me a little gitty. I actually caught him at the red light about a half a mile down. I looked over and it was a younger guy. I gave him props on his vette and the fishtail, and he gave the same props on my ride. I wound up making a left, and went on my way.

I wonder if he had his active handling on...
                    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                      Thanks Norm

That was something I was wondering for a bit now.

About a week ago, I was cruising and enjoying the day, when about a block in front of me, I see a brand spankin' new silver C6 about to make a left turn on to the street I was driving on. As this guy is making the turn, he punches it and does the most disgusting fishtail I think I've ever seen in my life I hardly ever see any vettes getting on it around me, so it did get me a little gitty. I actually caught him at the red light about a half a mile down. I looked over and it was a younger guy. I gave him props on his vette and the fishtail, and he gave the same props on my ride. I wound up making a left, and went on my way.

I wonder if he had his active handling on...
                      You rarely see someone getting on a vette around here either......I guess its because they are generally owned by a more mature crowd......and I dont know if I would be beating the tar out of a 70k dollar car either
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Norm - Did you enjoy driving the Viper? My wife used to work for a company that was a partial owner of Skip Barber Racing School. I had the pleasure of driving a vert back in '99 up at Limerock, here in CT. I actually liked the "holy " feel of it. I'm sure the GTS feels more solid overall.
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                          Norm - Did you enjoy driving the Viper? My wife used to work for a company that was a partial owner of Skip Barber Racing School. I had the pleasure of driving a vert back in '99 up at Limerock, here in CT. I actually liked the "holy " feel of it. I'm sure the GTS feels more solid overall.
                          I drove a 2nd Gen that belonged to a friend of mine. It definitely had the "cool" factor but it was not as "racy" as I thought it would be. This car had a pretty flat torque curve which made it really smooth going through the gears cruising. However, when it came time to put the hammer down and row the gears, it just didn't have that "Seat of the Pants" top end pull I was anticipating.

The handling was marginal, as it seemed to be "off balance" so to speak. Lateral body roll was not bad, but it's weight bias seemed very unbalanced so it made those fast corners a little squirrely...especially with the loud petal squeezed! But overall, it was a pretty fun car to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                            I drove a 2nd Gen that belonged to a friend of mine. It definitely had the "cool" factor but it was not as "racy" as I thought it would be. This car had a pretty flat torque curve which made it really smooth going through the gears cruising. However, when it came time to put the hammer down and row the gears, it just didn't have that "Seat of the Pants" top end pull I was anticipating.

The handling was marginal, as it seemed to be "off balance" so to speak. Lateral body roll was not bad, but it's weight bias seemed very unbalanced so it made those fast corners a little squirrely...especially with the loud petal squeezed! But overall, it was a pretty fun car to drive.
                            I agree. It definitely didn't give confidence going through the chicane, but I don't know... I kind of liked that "this could break loose at any moment" kind of feeling. I wasn't going as fast as I would have liked mostly because of that.

I'm sure it was several factors.

1) I was giddy I was driving a Viper

2) It wasn't mine... and it was expensive.

3) I had a Skip Barber instructor egging me on the whole time.

The hot lap we took with him driving was a different experience all together.
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

Very well put. That is how I felt about mine. It took a lot to exploit the power of the Viper.

Comment

Working...
                              X