My tranny is grinding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightrage
    My clutch arrived. The disc is organic and doesn't quite feel the way I expected it to. Feels like I could crack it with my hands. Well, the manufacturer claims it's good for up to 450 horsepower. Any idea what kind of life or pedal feel I'll get from this thing?
    About the same as a new stock clutch. It will be fine.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Well, according to my mechanic, the clutch does need to be replaced, however that isn't what's causing the grinding. It only happens when the car is warmed up. I've been reading that our tranny synchros require friction to work properly. I'm running Royal Purple in the tranny I'd imagine that's what the grinding is. Next week he's going to swap the new clutch in and replace the tranny fluid with factory recommended stuff. I'm a little disappointed. I can shift my car with my index finger due to how smooth it is right now. I'd imagine it's going to be notchy again when I switch back. Oh well, it's a small price to pay, I suppose
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I run Royal Purple Synchromax in mine with no problems.
        Dave

Independent AMSOIL Dealer

94 Z28 M6 - exhaust, K&N drop in, and lots of plans...

DD 98 Ram 2500 CTD (might be faster than my Z!)

Comment

i've been thinking of going with RAM. keep us posted on the quality and such (ie chatter, pedal etc)
          -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

It's fixed, but now I'm confused

I got my car back. I had the clutch and fuel filter replaced, plus my oil pressure switch was replaced (my oil pressure is much higher now). For some reason, the clutch now releases an inch from the floor whereas it used to release an inch from the top. The mechanic said this is normal because it's a hydraulic clutch. He told me that as the clutch wears out, the pedal starts to engage higher and higher. I suppose that makes sense, but both the truck I drive at work (F-150 with a relatively new clutch) and my dad's Viper release very high up. If the clutch moves up over time, why do those clutches release right where mine did, even though they're not worn?

For anyone wondering, the pedal feels the same as it did with the stock clutch, there's no chatter and it holds extremely well. It's a little expensive, but so far I think it was a good investment.

A few more questions for anyone who feels like answering them.

1. A few months back I had my car dyno'd. That was with the slipping clutch. Would I pull higher numbers now with the new one?

2. My car sits at about 1400RPM at 60MPH now. It used to sit at about 1700RPM at the same speed with the old clutch. Is that normal? I guess my old clutch must have been slipping pretty badly in order for that to happen?
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

plus my oil pressure switch was replaced (my oil pressure is much higher now).
              Did they break the old one? Remember my hints above.

For some reason, the clutch now releases an inch from the floor whereas it used to release an inch from the top.
              It should be about half way. If it is too close to the floor the hydraulic system is pushing on the fork far enough for it to release the clutch. That could be a sign of it having air in the system. When you put the system back together after changing a clutch it will usually have too much fluid in it You might want to check the level. Also the clutch fluid is not the same as Dextron ATF fluid or brake fluid. GM calls for a different fluid. I made the mistake of putting the wrong stuff in mine and it made the clutch point too low.

He told me that as the clutch wears out, the pedal starts to engage higher and higher.
              That is true of a cable clutch not a hydraulic clutch. A hydraulic clutch will keep the same release position over the life of the clutch until it wears out and runs out of travel.

1. A few months back I had my car dyno'd. That was with the slipping clutch. Would I pull higher numbers now with the new one?
              I would think so.

2. My car sits at about 1400RPM at 60MPH now. It used to sit at about 1700RPM at the same speed with the old clutch. Is that normal? I guess my old clutch must have been slipping pretty badly in order for that to happen?
              I guess if it is really worn out. I wouldn't worry about that because it is better now than before.

I bet your gas mileage will be better now.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Thanks Jeff!

I would imagine he broke the sending unit, but since it's been replaced I've had much better oil pressure.

Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
                It should be about half way. If it is too close to the floor the hydraulic system is pushing on the fork far enough for it to release the clutch. That could be a sign of it having air in the system. When you put the system back together after changing a clutch it will usually have too much fluid in it You might want to check the level. Also the clutch fluid is not the same as Dextron ATF fluid or brake fluid. GM calls for a different fluid. I made the mistake of putting the wrong stuff in mine and it made the clutch point too low.
                Is that detrimental to the car? I actually like where it releases now. The car had been releasing at the top since I bought it with around 58K miles on it. Could the clutch really have been bad for that long? Anyway, it's consistant now whereas I used to rev the motor a bit before it grabbed in the right spot.
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Thanks Jeff!

I would imagine he broke the sending unit, but since it's been replaced I've had much better oil pressure.

Is that detrimental to the car? I actually like where it releases now. The car had been releasing at the top since I bought it with around 58K miles on it. Could the clutch really have been bad for that long? Anyway, it's consistant now whereas I used to rev the motor a bit before it grabbed in the right spot.
                  As long as you are not grinding gears it's fine.

Oh your oil pressure isn't any different than it was before. The gauge is just reading higher with the new sending unit.

Comment

Working...
                  X