Chrome diff cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome diff cover

Looks like I have an oil leak at my diff cover so I need to change the gasket.

Was wondering if this chrome cover here would be a good buy?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1020039/10002/-1
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Be careful of the stamped steel covers, they are sometimes difficult to seal. If you have the money, you might get a nice billet aluminum cover like a TA cover or equivalent.

LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
      Be careful of the stamped steel covers, they are sometimes difficult to seal. If you have the money, you might get a nice billet aluminum cover like a TA cover or equivalent.
      What he said.

And.... chrome retains heat. Not what you really want.

Comment

As an added benefit, these type of covers utilize pre-load studs to reinforce the bearing caps which "may" help to strengthen the weak 10-bolt.

Most also have a drain plug on them, which makes draining and refilling much easier.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

TA or Summit cover. Trickflow makes nice ones with the pre-load studs.

Chrome caps? What for, You never see it and/or its never seen. Maybe on a lifted truck.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Chrome caps? What for, You never see it and/or its never seen. Maybe on a lifted truck.
            I guess you haven't seen my lifted Camaro yet

I guess you are right.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
              I guess you haven't seen my lifted Camaro yet

I guess you are right.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Part numbers / links for the TA and / or Summit covers?

Please???
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I found this installation Guide

Found this one here on Ebay with free shipping

And I believe this one is the Summit one

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Here's one from Summit. Just make sure you realize the stock bolts won't work as the cover is much thicker. I used stainless bolts and polished them up. While You can't really see it yourself, the car behind you can easily see the differential cover, so if you want, polish the center section. It really looks nice from behind...you can even see the muffler, another reason I polished it up.

Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I bought some Rhino ramps and got under the car. Looks pretty messy so I'm working it with some degreaser.

Noticed there are two gasket installed. Also not sure if the leak is at the front where the shaft seal is. Is that difficult to replace?

So after the cleanup I drive it again to see where it leaks.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The pinion shaft seal leaks on nearly every 10-bolt. I replaced mine, and it started leaking again a year later. While it makes a mess underneath the car, it doesn't leak out enough to worry me. I simply top it off once a year.

Replacing it is a bit of work. You need to remove the innards from the pumpkin...not something you want to do unless you are familiar with setting up a rear end. I would ignore it and look at it this way...it's a nice way to keep fresh lube in there as the old stuff leaks out in time.
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                          The pinion shaft seal leaks on nearly every 10-bolt. I replaced mine, and it started leaking again a year later. While it makes a mess underneath the car, it doesn't leak out enough to worry me. I simply top it off once a year.

Replacing it is a bit of work. You need to remove the innards from the pumpkin...not something you want to do unless you are familiar with setting up a rear end. I would ignore it and look at it this way...it's a nice way to keep fresh lube in there as the old stuff leaks out in time.
                          Mine seems pretty messy but then I don't know how long it's been leaking. Don't see any leaks on the garage floor but at work I always use the same spot and that's where I noticed. But then it's on a hill and I always back in. Maybe I need to park forward to eliminate the oil leaking.

I found in the Haynes manual that you can disconnect the drive shaft and then remove the companion flange and that way you wouldn't have to mess with the internals. Does that work ok if you have the right tools?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Not really. The pinion nut crushes the crush sleeve. When you put it back on, you'll inevitably cause it to crush further, causing increased end-play to develop. This will cause premature failure on the differential.

People have done it, with mixed results, but it's not worth it in my opinion. My seal has been leaking for 12 years...never enough to see a drip, but obvious with the oil spray pattern. I rarely have to add more than a half a bottle a year.
                            Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

What he said- if you remove the pinion nut, you are going to change the pre-load on the pinion bearings- which will affect the mesh of the pinion and ring- a big problem to solve a little problem-

If the leak is that slow, just top the diff up from time to time- think of it as a reason to periodically check and add new fluids- and as rust-proofing for the back end of the car-
                              2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                              "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Working...
                              X