SPEC Clutch Revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raroZ28
    He got more than one clutch disc. What are the odds that they're all bad? I guess there is a slim chance that he got repeat bogus discs, but it's not very probable.
    With Spec anything is possible.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by raroz28
      Originally Posted by raroZ28
      He got more than one clutch disc. What are the odds that they're all bad? I guess there is a slim chance that he got repeat bogus discs, but it's not very probable.
      Originally posted by Jeff_in_Atl
      With Spec anything is possible.
      I did not have the harshness/vibration the first time I had a SPEC in my car. It was smooth and worked fine, it just went from "new" to "worn to the rivets" in 10K miles.

The chatter does seem to be improving slightly (or maybe it's me getting used to babying the clutch...) but the vibration is not improving at all. I've got around 200 miles on it so far.

Originally posted by raroz28
      I'm convinced that your issue was with your flywheel.
      I am starting to think that too. I still have the stock flywheel. It's in good shape and I have had thoughts of swapping it back in to see if it helps. I remember someone posting that the flywheel needs to be resurfaced in a particular way. How is that?
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but I have a few questions?

Are you sure the flywheel is properly weighted (externally balanced) for the LT1?

Does the vibration remain constant when the clutch is depressed (disengages the clutch disc from the engine) and released?

Did you properly torque the flywheel bolts so it is sitting flush and not canted?

Did you replace the TO bearing with a solid or needle bearing design? (I used a solid bronze bushing)

Was the clutch installed with the correct face facing the PP and flywheel?

Vibration is NOT normal, and thinking it is until "broken in" is absolutely false. Driving like this can destroy you bearings quickly, so fix it. After I put mine in, it was smooth as silk.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Are you sure the flywheel is properly weighted (externally balanced) for the LT1?
          The Al flywheel was purchased as part of a set from SPEC for the LT1 so I assume it is properly balanced.

Does the vibration remain constant when the clutch is depressed (disengages the clutch disc from the engine) and released?
          No. If I depress the clutch pedal about 1 inch the heavy vibration goes away. At that point, the clutch appears to be still engaged or engaged enough that it is not slipping.

Did you properly torque the flywheel bolts so it is sitting flush and not canted?
          This was done by the trans shop so I assume it was done correctly.

Did you replace the TO bearing with a solid or needle bearing design? (I used a solid bronze bushing)
          I assume you mean pilot bearing? Yes. The pilot bearing was replaced with a needle type from NAPA. The SPEC clutch setup came with a new TO bearing as well.

Was the clutch installed with the correct face facing the PP and flywheel?
          Again, this was done by the trans shop so I assume it was done correctly.
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Sorry...but I think I'm out of my league on this one. I don't know enough about transmissions to give any more advice...sounds like you looked at all of the obvious. You may need to get another shop involved to proof the work of the first.

However, I've heard the same sporadic issues about SPEC. That's why I went with RAM.

Let us know how it turns out.
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Well the problem has been fixed.

And by the problem I mean the POS SPEC clutch and by fixed I mean removed and put back in the box where it belongs!

The shop checked everything again and could find nothing wrong. Since they had pulled the trans yet again to make triple sure everything was good and I suspected the flywheel was bad, I had them put the old, stock clutch, PP and flywheel (resurfaced) back in.

It now runs smooth, all vibrations gone.

I once again have a $1000 door stop with the SPEC logo printed on it.

I apologize to those who like SPEC products but I don't think it's a accident that SPEC is a four letter word.

Anybody interested in purchasing or trading for a slightly used LT1 SPEC stage 2 clutch setup complete with Al flywheel?
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had...

On a positive note, at least it's fixed. Makes me glad I avoided SPEC and went with all RAM products...the Mustang crowd steered me in the right direction for a change (LOL).
                Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had...

On a positive note, at least it's fixed. Makes me glad I avoided SPEC and went with all RAM products...the Mustang crowd steered me in the right direction for a change (LOL).
                  That's funny because I used RAM back when I had a Mustang and had no problems with them.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I installed a SPEC II in my '97. I absolutely hated it from day one. There is an excess amount of feedback and the clutch grabs. From what I read, the success of the product is inconsistent at best. I will never use another one nor recommend it. I didn't bother talking to the company and getting a new one...the time and effort to use the same piece of junk isn't worth it. I would have been better off picking one up at Autozone.
                    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X