NFB: The Passion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: The Passion

Guys, I went and saw it and it was the most intense movie I have ever seen! I literally wept through the last half of the movie. Highly recommend it. I saw it wednesday and I cant stop thinking about it. It is incredibly gorry, but it gives you a sense of reality - of the sacrifice made for us.

Anybody else see it???
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Good thing that post took you off #666 , lol...

I will be seeing it soon, I am looking forward to it. I am hearing a lot of really good thigns about it.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I'm actually going to see it with our youth members on Sunday...not sure if the 10-11 year olds should see this one just yet. I've heard and seen clips (from a friends camera phone) and it's isn't for the faint of heart...

Talking about faint of heart, heard this lady died from watching it cuz it was so gory that she had a heart attack and died...shame, and truth in that???

I think this movie will hit hard...it'll be worth more than the 6.50 I'ma pay to see it.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am going to go watch it also.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

There is enough gore and blood in entertainment already. I think I'll pass and spend the dough on an oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            There is enough gore and blood in entertainment already.....
            The thing is is that this isn't the stereotypical, commercialized Hollywood definition of "entertainment".

Whether you are Christian or not, history will back up the truth of these events. This is truth, not just "entertainment".
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
              I'm actually going to see it with our youth members on Sunday...not sure if the 10-11 year olds should see this one just yet. I've heard and seen clips (from a friends camera phone) and it's isn't for the faint of heart...

Talking about faint of heart, heard this lady died from watching it cuz it was so gory that she had a heart attack and died...shame, and truth in that???

I think this movie will hit hard...it'll be worth more than the 6.50 I'ma pay to see it.
              actually I heard that 6 elderly women in a really big theatre died of heart attacks because the scenes were too intense. I haven't seen it yet though.
              93 camaro Z28, A4 auto
              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503401

"he who hesitates is lost."

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                The thing is is that this isn't the stereptypical, commercialized Hollywood definition of "entertainment".

Whether you are Christian or not, history will back up the truth of these events. This is truth, not just "entertainment".
                That may be, but I don't feel the need to watch someone's blood get spilled. I don't need to see a Lion rip apart a gladiator's throat even if it were a historical representation of actual events during the Roman Empire. I don't feel the need to watch people vaporize in front of my eyes because of a graphic depiction of the nuclear explosions in Japan just before their surrender. IMHO, things were much more enjoyable when such graphic details were left up to the imagination of the audience, be it a motion picture, TV or still photos. Do we really need to see the result of a sword seperating some's head from their body? Do we need to see the head seperate with the blood and bone fragments sticking out? What ever happend to seeing the sword come down, a cetain special effect applied and then a change of scene letting the audience surmise what the result was. ?????

I also don't think that the way that society becomes conditioned to such sights is good in even the slightest degree. In order to break through the conditioning of the public, producers and writers continually up the ante by becoming increasingly more graphic and shocking to obtain the same effect. When will it stop? Graphic depictions of public executions? I just can't see the logic in continually making things more graphic and violent. All it does is de-sensitize people to the horrible sights and sets the stage for the next example to go even one step further. Take a look at how some war veterans have a hard time integrating back into normal like due to the shocking scenes and life they were forced to experience during war.

A few months ago, some poor pizza delivery man was blown up because a bomb was locked around his neck, the perp was forcing him to rob a bank. If he didn't go along with it, the bomb would detonate. The news media at least had the presence of mind to not show the guy's body parts getting blown up, but it wouldn't suprise me that some time in the near future had this happened, they would have shown it. Pehaps I am making a big deal over things that nobody else cares about, but I have to at least point out that the indicated trend does not look very pleasing.

I am sure that many people will watch it, the younger generation will most likely end up getting the DVD and watching all the blood and guts in slow motion because they think it's cool.
                Some will look at the special effects as an art form by itself and appreciate the technical challenges. To each their own, history or not, I can't see the reasoning behind shocking the public. Actually I know what the reasoning is....... money. If people pay to see it, they will continue to offer it.

Off my soapbox now and on to more pleasurable thoughts.

Comment

I have not seen the movie yet but plan to. I don't think that Mel was trying to "push the envelope of gore and violence" to make this movie more desirable to the violence loving people of the world. What he was trying to do is to show you what Jesus went through to die for all the sins of the world. Yes, you can read about it in the bible, and the preacher can tell you in church using all kinds of references, but a lot of people in this world have to see something to believe it. So when they see this movie, they "see" what Jesus went through (or at least how Mel sees it). If that makes them turn to Jesus, then I'm all for it.

The reality of the story is that no matter how graphic Mel made the film, it still does not capture what Jesus went through. Because this is a film where the actors play a part, and Jesus actually went through this in reality.
                  "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Joe -

I agree with almost everything that you said. Except for one thing... we aren't watching an innocent pizza man explode, or random Japanese people vaporize... we are watching the torture and dehumanization of our Lord and Savior. It is meant to be shocking... so that maybe some "lukewarm" Christians can really see the sacrifice and pain Jesus went through because of his love for us all. It is a challenge to the human condition to see such things... do any of us have the ability to face that for something that we love unconditionally?

While there is certainly money to be made here, let's not forget why Hollywood began. It began as an artistic freedom of expression --- not profits. This is not the same kind of commercialized dribble that Hollywood is normally polluting our society with. This is a lifelong lesson, meant to be a shcoking realization of what one brave soul endured, so that we may have eternal life in heaven.

Christians will see this not as "entertainment" but education... Do I think kids should see this? No, probably not. But as adults, as Christian adults, our faith should only stand to become stronger from watching a film like this. As MN6WS6, said, words spoken or typed are imagined by the mind -- they are not seen... this is going to go beyond what any of us had imagined Christ was treated like, and I hope it makes his sacrifice that much more real, and incredible to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      we are watching the torture and dehumanization of our Lord and Savior. It is meant to be shocking... so that maybe some "lukewarm" Christians can really see the sacrifice and pain Jesus went through because of his love for us all
                      No we are not. We are watching someone's depiction of the event. If we could take a trip back in time we could see the actual course of events, but that is impossible. So any modern day representation, even based on 100% truth, is still a creative depiction. For the record, I grew up in a very strict religious environment. Also having a degree in Music (pipe organ), I have spent more time in a church than virtually anyone excepting the nuns and priests. I literally grew up in the church. I don't choose to wear it on my sleeve and proclaim religious beliefs to the world, but I can say that I am very familiar with the principles. That is perhaps why the whole idea with degredation of society's regard for the faith goes hand in hand with the increasingly shocking media. Perhaps this is a good thing to call attention to the topic, but I can't help but feel that the same thing could be accomplished without the graphic details.

Comment

Just my humble thoughts

I recently saw the movie with my mother and father and members of my church here in Dayton, Ohio.

Life is full of choices. To choose to see the movie the movie may or may not have an effect.

I've been working as an Army Nurse Corps Officer for over 6 years. My job does not entale ordering soldiers to their potential deaths. I've worked in Oncology, Med/Surg, and now the Emergency Department at Ft. Hood. Life and death occur everyday. I recently came home after spending 6 months near Balad, Iraq in LSA Anaconda with the 21st Combat Support Hospital working in their EMT Section (ER). My experience may pale in comparison to other soldiers experiences their. I did see my fair share of life and death. The most unforgettable thing I remember is the smell. The smell of a dead body. The smell of pools and pools of blood being cleaned up after a casualty has come through. It has some effect but I was more prepared as a nurse. I do tend to have a better appreciation for the enjoyment of life now. After living in primative conditions, I have a tendency to appreciate some of the smaller things in life that others may take for granted. Some veterans tell me it may pass, others tell me it may stick with me for the rest of my life. I will never forget the feeling of incredible sadness for a soldier who came in killed in action after a roadside bomb or mortar attack. I will also never forget the incredible anger and hatred for the person who shot and killed him, brought in captured and wounded. None the less they needed to be treated in my job with out judgement.

The facts remain.

A man from Nazareth named Jesus died.

For some people it has meant something. A reflection into the human heart and mind. The realm of possibility of change.

For me I have never had a movie effect me like that in my entire life.
                        Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Comment

Re: Just my humble thoughts

Originally posted by Mixedpuppy
                          I recently saw the movie with my mother and father and members of my church here in Dayton, Ohio.

Life is full of choices. To choose to see the movie the movie may or may not have an effect.

I've been working as an Army Nurse Corps Officer for over 6 years. My job does not entale ordering soldiers to their potential deaths. I've worked in Oncology, Med/Surg, and now the Emergency Department at Ft. Hood. Life and death occur everyday. I recently came home after spending 6 months near Balad, Iraq in LSA Anaconda with the 21st Combat Support Hospital working in their EMT Section (ER). My experience may pale in comparison to other soldiers experiences their. I did see my fair share of life and death. The most unforgettable thing I remember is the smell. The smell of a dead body. The smell of pools and pools of blood being cleaned up after a casualty has come through. It has some effect but I was more prepared as a nurse. I do tend to have a better appreciation for the enjoyment of life now. After living in primative conditions, I have a tendency to appreciate some of the smaller things in life that others may take for granted. Some veterans tell me it may pass, others tell me it may stick with me for the rest of my life. I will never forget the feeling of incredible sadness for a soldier who came in killed in action after a roadside bomb or mortar attack. I will also never forget the incredible anger and hatred for the person who shot and killed him, brought in captured and wounded. None the less they needed to be treated in my job with out judgement.

The facts remain.

A man from Nazareth named Jesus died.

For some people it has meant something. A reflection into the human heart and mind. The realm of possibility of change.

For me I have never had a movie effect me like that in my entire life.
                          Very well put. Thanks so much.
                          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Joe, you are definitely right when it comes to the stakes going up with each generation. It is amazing that each generation must now top the last's rebellious nature... or, that each film must top what the last one did. (HOWEVER) I went to go see Saving Private Ryan with my father who served in WWII, I don't want his experience to die with him. The landing on Omaha Beach was almost more then he could handle. There were very few of his childhood friends who survived those years. The graphic nature of the movie was a little much...granted Although, it is kind of a mixed bag for me. I am a historian; that is what I did in undergrad (what I enjoy the most), and I do like the realistic portrayal of events like that. It brings it home rather than a textbook. I never saw those days, but I have great admiration for what the people in my father's generation sacrificed. I agree that the shock factor is definitely a part of mainstream media, and it is kinda sad. However, there are times when illustrating an event is important... Just like Omaha Beach. The people who were there can talk for hours about what happened, or we can read about it. 'but really, how many people really understand the sacrifice or horror those people faced. 'and, it was definitely a crossroads in the world. What would have happened had they not gave all they had? I think it is important to see it and respect the people for what they did and sacrificed so that I can write this email today. If this is what it takes to make the younger generations understand...then so be it!

I would like to take both opinions and meld them together. I think it is too darn bad that our society is so entrenched with the graphical violence in mainstream media that this kind of presentation is lumped in with it...it should be the exception not the norm. I think this presentation of the last twelve hours is suppose to show the betrayal, humiliation, torture, and death of Christ pulling no punches so that we can see exactly what the crucifixion of Christ meant along with what it meant for him to stay steadfast to his role & promise. I can only imagine what the prayer in the garden of Gasthemene was like with the subsequent arrest, torture, and crucifixion. I am sure this presentation brings it all home for the viewer, and like what was said earlier...the lax Christians will re-evaluate what is important. For the Christian, it is important to know that there was a (PRICE) paid. This presentation is going to show what that price was.

If kids are going to slow mo this stuff on DVD for the special effects...that is pretty sadistic and sick...I hope we are not that bad as a society. That is a whole 'nother issue! If my son was doing that, we would be having some serious conversations!
                            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I saw the movie opening day, and although it was very intense, I think it was appropriate. Gibson's motive for making the movie wasn't to make a profit, and that was clearly apparent. He is a devout Catholic, and this movie was probably a form of repentance. He said he was struggling through life in the early 90s, then turned to the Bible. He wanted to give to God, and the way I see it, this movie was his mission to reveal to people something similar to what Jesus experienced. There are millions of people who say they are Christian & know the story of His crucifixion, but have not truly thought about (or look away from) what He went through. The movie really made me think about what He endured.

I am 18, so I guess I fall into that category that so many movies are geared toward these days. After seeing the Passion, I would not suggest letting anyone younger than 17 or 18 to see it. From experience, I doubt they would feel the full effect. I do have problems with some of the violence in movies and on TV, but in my opinion, the gore in Passion actually was necessary for Gibson's intent.
                              1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Working...
                              X