You LS1 F-bodies have a nice ride for the $$$

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You LS1 F-bodies have a nice ride for the $$$

Yesterday night, a friend and me ran our cars against each other. I was driving my dad's 1999 Corvette M6 vs his Trans Am WS6 1998 (I believe, whatever year has the LS1) M6. We went from a rolling start of 45 mph and hit 135 on the interstate. His basically bone stock car besides SLP Loudbacks kept up with my dad's bone stock Vette. I beat him by no more than a half a car's length. You guys shouldn't be too afraid of us C5's, just the Z06's! Have fun with your rides and no matter what, we roll together under GM.

Don't worry, we don't fear the C5... muhahahahahaha

You do know that the LS1 f-bodies typically dyno as high or even higher than the C5s do at the rear wheels... despite GM's claims, right?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Yeah, I've heard that statement before, its probably due to the intake. The Vette's intake is very restrictive compared to the WS6 with baffles off. The Vette's intake has to travel through a small oval tubing inorder to fit between the radiator and the hood.

Comment

How old are you? You think daddy wants you doing a buck 35 in his vette?! hahaa

Just don't wrap it around a tree.
        99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

20 and graduate of Dodge Skip Barber Driving School in Daytona so I'm probably more qualified then you to drive at those speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by ISUCorvette4life
            so I'm probably more qualified then you to drive at those speeds.
            I don't think there is any reason to get worked up here buddy. I know I wouldn't want my C5 (if I had one) going over the speed limit unless I was the one driving
            Austin Schroeger
            Looking to Buy 1994-97 F-Body

Comment

Yeah, I've heard that statement before, its probably due to the intake. The Vette's intake is very restrictive compared to the WS6 with baffles off. The Vette's intake has to travel through a small oval tubing inorder to fit between the radiator and the hood.
              Actually, it has to do with the engine. They are the same. So they dyno the same

hehehe

Some say there is more drivetrain loss in the transaxle of the Vette, yada yada yada...

There is such variance in the LS1s though, that it will vary from case to case. Some C5s will be higher, some f-bodies will be higher.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                Don't worry, we don't fear the C5... muhahahahahaha

....or the ZO6's
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                  ....or the ZO6's
                  fear em in the twisties....

i got into it with a friend of mine at skyline drive one time..when i had the CompTA.... he ate me up in the turns..... those things are on rails... and ive had folks tell me they thought my comp handled the way i had it set up.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

20 and graduate of Dodge Skip Barber Driving School in Daytona so I'm probably more qualified then you to drive at those speeds.
                    careful.
                    you started out real cool.......

dont underestimate the experience of the folks on this forum.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                      careful.
                      you started out real cool.......

dont underestimate the experience of the folks on this forum.
                      I thought he was kind of cool to go on this forum to pay the LS1 owners a compliment. Anyway, I'd buy a Vette if I had room for one. I think it's a terrific car. And, yes, a lot of the guys here have more driving experience than that guy has birthdays (tell him how old you is Wolfman ), but you learn a lot going to those driving schools, even if they make you drive neons the first 2 days...

I took the Suzuki Team Hammer Endurance riding school at Road America's 4.2 mile track. Out of 72 students, 13 crashed out. Max speeds were about a buck-60 after turn 14 on the main straightaway. Scary on a bike, but you learn your stuff

Comment

Didn't try and get off the wrong foot, was just trying to show some comradery, nothing personal. Corvetteforum.com is just full of old people like my dad and I thought I could relate better with the f-bodies who I think tend to be a younger crowd. (Sorry again if I offended you Wolfman with that statement )

Comment

Didn't try and get off the wrong foot, was just trying to show some comradery, nothing personal. Corvetteforum.com is just full of old people like my dad and I thought I could relate better with the f-bodies who I think tend to be a younger crowd. (Sorry again if I offended you Wolfman with that statement )
                          And with that, you get my welcome to the forum as well. A little politeness goes a long ways here. If you hang out for a while you will learn what we all do. If you can think of a question, someone here will have an answer. different people are experts in different areas, and some experts in almost everything. There are poeple here in the automotive industry, with some inside information to share on occasion too.

On the age issue.... Everyone here might not be in there 20's... but shhhh. Dont tell them... We all like to think we are still young.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you say so buddy

If you're ever in CT I'd be glad to challenge you to a friendly autocross session for a couple bucks.

Just because you took a class it doesn't mean much. I could take a class on japanese writing and speaking and I wouldn't say I'm better than a japanese person at it.

Either way, my point wasn't that you aren't good enough to drive at 135, the point is at that speed on a public road, all it takes is one dummy to not look when making a lane change, and everyone's in big troouble.

I know from experience, man.
                            99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

yes ISUCorvette4life this forum is great! I m glad I found it!

It must be great driving a Corvette when you re 20
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s
                              95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                              99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                              99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                              97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                              93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                              00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Working...
                              X