Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickiest way to add more horsepower to 3.4L ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickiest way to add more horsepower to 3.4L ?

Yea, I got the v6... you got a problem.. plan on getting an lt1 engine late next year.

Whats the best camshaft I can get for the price.. and where can i order it?

Comment

Man, I would not waste any money on that motor, especially if you're getting a V8 swap later on. Buy nitrous, if it blows up, you didn't really lose anything. Plus, you can put the bottle on your new motor. You get a cam for that 3.4 you're throwing money away.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The motor is gonna be sold anyways.. I can get more value ,well new piston,high compression,camshaft,new upgrade on feul system, high performance throttle body, dual exhaust, new headers, nos express... that right there will compete with any v8

Comment

Yeah it will compete with the v8 but slap a CAI, headers, and a good cat back on an LT1 for alot less money than that whole set up and it won't compete anymore. Why waste the money just save it up and when you do an LT1 swap put the money into it then.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

sell the whole car and just buy a Z. You can get one with like 40-50K miles for like 6 or 7 thousand around here now. I even saw a 95 6 speed in the paper with 23K miles for 8500
            1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
            1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
              Yeah it will compete with the v8 but slap a CAI, headers, and a good cat back on an LT1 for alot less money than that whole set up and it won't compete anymore. Why waste the money just save it up and when you do an LT1 swap put the money into it then.
              i agree.. dont waste the money. be patient and wait. the 3.4 is a weak motor.. you just might do all that and it will go on you anyway.

just my 2 centavos........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

[QUOTE=StolenBIRD]Yea, I got the v6... you got a problem.. QUOTE]

nice Intro...................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Even with all those mods, it might not even keep up with a stock LT1. I recall the fastest 3.4L was a Turbo'd, NOS, heavily modded (every which way) Firebird. His best run was a 13.5. Now that may be even with a bolt-on LT1, but still would lose to stronger LS1s.

The fastest non-turbo 3.4L I've seen was one with every mod imaginable, NOS, drag radials, 4.10 gears, slicks, and a few other things...ran a 13.9x @ 100 or so. So IMHO, it does take way too much energy and money to just attempt to keep up with the V8s...but the choice is yours, and as you've seen, it is possible to keep up with the stock V8s. Good luck.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

it takes too much money, not to mention time, to keep up with V8s. Say good bye to reliablity also...

Fastest 3.4L I've seen...all out modded was 13.6@103

Fastest 3.8L I've seen...all out modded was 12.2@109 (magnus from the V6 forum)

the 3.4 was turboed and the 3.8 was SC (with tons of engine work)...

V8's will do that night and day with out a sweat....save your $$$ if you want to go fast...start with something already running where the 3.4 would be if you invested 8-10K...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by StolenBIRD
                      The motor is gonna be sold anyways.. I can get more value
                      That doesn't make sense. We all know that when you mod something, it drops the resale value. Why would you put money in the motor when you're definately not going to get it all back? Especially when you're getting an LT1? Huge waste of money.

Sell the car now whole, and buy an LT1. Like people said, they're cheap. I got my loaded 96 last year with 75k miles or so for $6k even from a private party.
                      99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by StolenBIRD
                        The motor is gonna be sold anyways.. I can get more value ,well new piston,high compression,camshaft,new upgrade on feul system, high performance throttle body, dual exhaust, new headers, nos express... that right there will compete with any v8
                        Question...

Do you really think you are going to have people lining up to buy a decade old, internally modified 3.4L pushrod V6?

Not likely... or at least not for much $$$$ ...

Like everyone is telling you, just be patient! Save up, and BUY an LT1 or LS1 car. Remember, even the LS1s are kinda dated these days
                        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Lt1 engine hard to come by around here thats why... I cant just crap one out.. to all those a v6 cant do crap.. With my own eyes ive seen a v6 do high 9's ... Ive even seen a damn 4 cyclinder do 10's..

Comment

Originally posted by scotts94_z28
                            sell the whole car and just buy a Z. You can get one with like 40-50K miles for like 6 or 7 thousand around here now. I even saw a 95 6 speed in the paper with 23K miles for 8500
                            I like the firebird bodystyle alot better than i do the camaro.. but no diss.. my father has a 600 hp 71 camaro 383 stroker motor dual carbs, tubbed out rear end

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                              Question...

Do you really think you are going to have people lining up to buy a decade old, internally modified 3.4L pushrod V6?

Not likely... or at least not for much $$$$ ...

Like everyone is telling you, just be patient! Save up, and BUY an LT1 or LS1 car. Remember, even the LS1s are kinda dated these days

Save up? Buddy with 2 thousand dollars i could turn my engine into 450 hp without nos.. just think what i could do with the other 4-5...? that doesnt make sense now does it.

Comment

Working...
                              X