No announcement yet.

Can I take an 01 SS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not as bent as I might have come out sounding. I do want to beat him, but I am just a go fast guy. Beating him will just be a perk, not really all I care about.

Car is going in the garage this winter. LT4 conversion coming then. Heads, intake, cam, etc. I'll be doing it myself so expect to see a lot of me on here asking questions
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      All right cool, I have a little more faith in the LT1 guys. Jay makes it sound like the LT1 is garbage lol.

American, I'm not going with the dynomax, I'm going with the magnaflow. IMO the borla is too expensive, and the sound is too loud for my tastes. The magnaflow is 325 shipped, stainless steel, and they have a nice grumble but isn't too loud. I believe it also has the best dyno #'s.

No, sir not garbage at all. But to run with an LS1 it needs quite a bit more than just an intake and cat-back, that's all. If you don't want nitrous, you WILL have to invest north of $1000 into the car to get there.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
        It's unbelievable how much better sounding the LT1's are over the LS1's.

I have PPC long tubes, ORY, and Corsa cat-back which emphatically say otherwise.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

LS1's taste like chicken.

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

raro -

I cam across this thread today. Thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216745

Comment

Just my opinion, but there is no comparison to how a full exhaust LS1 compares to a full exhaust LT1. The LS1's sound nasty! Just listen to Jay's video. LT1's just don't sound as good.

As far as the comparison between the LT1 cam and the LS1 cam. The differences between the 96-97 LT1 cam (205/207 .447"/.459" 117) and the 01-03 LS1 cam (196/207 .467"/.479" 116) is not worth mentioning. Where the LS1's are superior is in the 15° heads, larger valves, and the tuned length intake manifold runners. The ignition is superior as well.

As far as costs involved, there really isn't much difference between the cost of doing h/c on a LT1 compared to an LS1. In fact with the ever growing aftermarket for LS1's and the decling aftermarket of the LT1, h/c packages are now cheaper than the LT1 h/c packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Let me add a little to the thread. My low 13 flats at 107 are still with SZ50s and a stock converter. ... It is not meant to infer which is better. As a matter of fact if you put the same type of mods to the LS-1, the increases in power will be equally satisfying, just a higher total investment thats all.

Amen Joe The reason I pointed out his time was not because of traction mods. He has all out horsepower with that trap speed. I've seen bolt-on LT1s run in the 12s with all the traction goodies, but their trap speed is usually under 103. So his has gobs of power. Sure not too many LT1s perform as well as this out of the box, but there are many strong LT1s out there. There are equally as many weak LS1s too (every time there are usually 2-3 different LS1s at Sac Raceway who can't even get under 13.9 at ~102 mph). But if you face a strong LS1, you're toast.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Just my opinion, but there is no comparison to how a full exhaust LS1 compares to a full exhaust LT1. The LS1's sound nasty! Just listen to Jay's video. LT1's just don't sound as good.
                  Sorry Kevin, but I disagree strongly. Ask anyone who's heard mine and they will disagree. The LS1 has no grumble, no growl and definitely no top-end bark. I listened to LS1s with cat-backs rev and rev and still barely be louder than a stock LT1, minus those with the Loudmouth. Whereas an LT1 with Borla or the Loudmouth, even a Blowmaster sounds waaaaay better than just about any LS1. No offense to Jay, but I was not impressed with his note. As far as sound goes, I'll put my cat-back against it and be 98% sure of being louder and sounding nicer.

As far as the heads go, if you're going to get that deep into it, get a set of bare AFRs and build those up. Don't let all the talk get you discouraged at all. Yeah, the LS1s are strong, but they're not that far ahead of the LT1. A little bit of correct persuasion and you'll keep up with or beat LS1s easily. Most cannot break outta the 13s and 14s. As far as the cat-back, don't get the Magnaflow. Its decent if you're gonna just stick with the CAI and cat-back, but if you're goin' after an LS1 you'll need a better one than that. Either Borla or the LM would be good choices.

I'm not trying to flame anyone in here, nor put anyone else down. But, on the same note, I'm not gonna listen to someone say that the LS1 has more low-end torque than the LT1 does. Top-end power, yes. But not the torque. If you can show me graphs of actual dyno-ed vehicles, not articles, I'm more than willing to listen. Take care everyone.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    No offense to Jay, but I was not impressed with his note. As far as sound goes, I'll put my cat-back against it and be 98% sure of being louder and sounding nicer.
                    Did you just say you will put your cat-back against my LTs + ORY + Corsa set-up and be LOUDER???? Steve, my man... that's almost comical. There isn't a chance in hell you are louder. You can prefer tone, and that's fine... we won't go there. But loudness? No way.

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    I'm not gonna listen to someone say that the LS1 has more low-end torque than the LT1 does. Top-end power, yes. But not the torque.

My bolt-on LS1. No way does a bolt-on LT1 throw down those power OR torque numbers. 360 ft-lbs at the wheels with simple bolt-ons!!!!

The term "low-end" is very, very vague. What do you mean? Below 3000? Below 2000? The truth is that stock versus stock, an 01-02 LS1 starts making more torque than a 97 LT1 as low as 2200 RPMs.

Comment

Dude, stock for stock, the LT1 has more torque up to the mid-2k range than the LS1 (not counting factory freaks). And, while you're car doesnt sound bad, I am not impressed with the sound. Not that loud or high on tone quality. Sorry man.
                      Steve

Comment

Y'all... this didn't need to turn into an LS1 vs. LT1 debate.

The argument is simply solved by looking at what is current. Did GM go to the LS1 over the LT1 so that they could take a step backwards? No.

Claiming that the LS1 isn't an improvement over the LT1 would be like me trying to say the LS2 isn't a step forward from the LS1.

It's just the next evolution for the SBC -- making improvements along the way.

You can make any motor run with any other motor... we all know that. Hell, 4 bangers can keep up with us when done properly. It's almost like there is a chip on the shoulder of the LT1 guys towards the LS1 and I don't get it.

The initial question posed by the thread maker was can a cat-back/CAI LT1 keep up with a stock LS1. The answer is no. Then he asked what is needed for the LT1 to insure victory? A full cast of bolt-ons makes it a driver's race (since the LS1 driver sucks, we'll give raro the nod here)... but to insure victory you need to go internal. And that's the bottom line.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa man, I'm not saying the LS1 was a step backwards. I'll admit defeat when it comes to power. Stock for stock, you'd have me beat. But, for sound, I have yet to hear an LS1 louder than mine. I am not trying to make this a flame war. Yes, it would take a decent amount of work for the LT1 to keep up with the 01 SS. As far as internals, that would be a quicker way but maybe unnecessary depending on the stock performances of the motors and what you consider to be internal and not (mainly referring to rocker arms). In either case, a decent list of mods would definitely need to be filled. Anyways, take care everyone and have a good weekend.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                            My bolt-on LS1. No way does a bolt-on LT1 throw down those power OR torque numbers. 360 ft-lbs at the wheels with simple bolt-ons!!!!

The term "low-end" is very, very vague. What do you mean? Below 3000? Below 2000? The truth is that stock versus stock, an 01-02 LS1 starts making more torque than a 97 LT1 as low as 2200 RPMs.
                            it can sure put down the numbers on the dyno..but damned if it can put down the numbers at the track..13.9????

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                              But, I'll never forget on one of my first ever trips to the track, I had a stock LT1 Z28 line up next to me. He had DRs on. He obviously destroyed me out of the hole. At the end of the race, I had a four car advantage on him. 13.4 to his 13.8. When I hit third gear, it seemed like he went into reverse.
                              Maybe this comment was what lit the candle ! I kinda picked up a hint of gloat from this, along with a pinch of exageration. Four car lengths sounds like too much of a gap for only 4 tenths of a difference, and dont forget jay, that even with the kind of power your making, you've yet to plant anything better than a 13 second ET. It's all good though. No harm, no foul. Moreover, although I'm sure that you car is ridiculously loud, I doubt that the sound can compare to that of a similar set-up on an LT1. I seldom hear of people liking the LS1 sound over that of the LT1. I've heard V8 Mercedez' with better sounding exhaust. Comparisons aside, the LS1 is still one BAD sounding mother! Nothing like the sound of a growling V8. I wonder what your car would sound like if you had a LM instead of the Corsa. I think that Corsa Cat-Back is keeping you a substantial ammount of decibels from going deaf
                              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                                Maybe this comment was what lit the candle ! I kinda picked up a hint of gloat from this, along with a pinch of exageration. Four car lengths sounds like too much of a gap for only 4 tenths of a difference, and dont forget jay, that even with the kind of power your making, you've yet to plant anything better than a 13 second ET. It's all good though. No harm, no foul. Moreover, although I'm sure that you car is ridiculously loud, I doubt that the sound can compare to that of a similar set-up on an LT1. I seldom hear of people liking the LS1 sound over that of the LT1. I've heard V8 Mercedez' with better sounding exhaust. Comparisons aside, the LS1 is still one BAD sounding mother! Nothing like the sound of a growling V8. I wonder what your car would sound like if you had a LM instead of the Corsa. I think that Corsa Cat-Back is keeping you a substantial ammount of decibels from going deaf
                                Well, a tenth is pretty close to a car length... there wasn't any gloat intended.

LTs+ORY+Loudmouth is notorious for wicked bad rasp, actually... a lot of people don't like it.

Don't rub in the 13 second ETs , we all know I should be in the 12s ... I don't know what my problem is -- but it's obviously not the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X