NFB: Work drama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Work drama

I finally got a breath to talk about this...

Well, yesterday, since I realized this isn't going to work out for me, when my boss offered a transfer to another area of the company, I decided to swallow my pride and take it. It's a bit of a demotion, but it will be great for me while I decide where else I can go with my career... plus it will have a higher base pay, and I'll get my life back and only have to work 40 hours a week. If I do well there, I can go to management in that division of the company, which wouldn't be bad at all... but moreso, I can now get enough time to interview at other places and see if they may be a better fit for me.

I was happy about this...

BUT...

Today, my boss calls me in to the office to basically tell me he didn't think I belonged at the company anymore and he wanted to fire me. This is after for the last 6 months I did everything they asked promising that it would lead to results... while I know there is no guarantee for this, I was the only person who followed it and wasn't improving. He also promised to all of us that if we gave it our all and it still didn't work out that they would find another place for us in the company. It seemed like they wanted to take that away from me... so this morning I was in a DOG FIGHT just to stay employed...

He and my new sales director were questioning my belief and commitment to the company and thought that I would be happier elsewhere. Maybe that's true, but my performance at my old job DID indicate I would do very well in the new position (the new position is similar, but I don't actually have to make the sale anymore, I just have to make initial contact and then pass the prospect on to a banker to finish the sale). I was ALWAYS the top dialer, and had the most credit pulls of any banker on my team... that means I will do very well in this new position, since that's all I have to do. So I said to them, "companies look out for themselves. How is getting rid of me going to benefit this company when you KNOW I can do the job I am going to?" THeir response was, "we only want people who are bought in here, and we don't think you believe."

I got that hair-raising tingle down my spine and got pretty irritated and I said, "I just went through 4 months of listening to everything you said, doing everything you asked, and never getting results. I gave 60 hours a week to this, trying harder and harder to succeed at this... doing everything I was told would work and nothing did. So you ask did that shake my confidence in myself? ABSOLUTLEY. In the company? Yeah, a little... It would do that to any human being who went through what I did."

He cut me off, and said, "so this new position will be what you need to restore your confidence in yourself and this company?" I said, "I think it could only help."

With that, my half-hour interrogation ended INSTANTLY. My sales director and team captain got up and just left, and my boss put in the transfer order. It happened so fast... it was surreal... I spent thirty minutes in a dogfight for my job, and then all of a sudden they decided I could go. Like they were hazing me or something, and they never had any actual intentions of letting me go..... It was the weirdest thing I'd ever sat through and right as they were walking me upstairs to the new position, I was so confused and pissed off about the meeting and what they just put me through that I nearly turned right back around and went into the office and told them I was leaving... luckily, I controlled my emotions and got upstairs to do some training on the new job.

We'll see how it goes... it's not my final stop for employment by any means... but it's a transitional phase that will help. Maybe I'll find my niche with this company and be able to stay, or maybe I'll find something better for myself.

Bottom line... on to a new job, same company, higher base pay, same benfits, less hours. I'll eat this up for a while.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Almost sounds like a test. Maybe they wanted to be sure that you are the right guy or your boss wanted to prove it to the sales director. Just sluff it off man, you got a better position. Sometimes companies are #$)%*#% like that...just let it go. I know its a PITA, but its better just to bite your tongue and let it go. Congrats on the new position. Hope it leads to all the opportunity you're hoping for.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

A test??? BS to me. It seems to me that corporate America doesn't care about their employees any more. Your not a person, just a resource. They will squeeze every drop out of you. They want you to work more hours and compensate you less.

I quit my job Sept. 29.....after 8 years of service. I did allot for that company(largest fast food chain on the planet). I've been on vacation since. I just started looking for a job this week. They are the ones hurting...hehehe. My replacement quit after two days. They still have no replacement in sight. Makes me laugh. Any way.....

You can only take so much BS, or you see the writing on the wall.

It is a tough choice.

Good luck.
      John
      97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
      02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
      99 Bravada

Comment

Nobody cares about their employees. We're machines to business owners and corporations. Easily replaceable machines.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Tundrahog
          A test??? BS to me. It seems to me that corporate America doesn't care about their employees any more. Your not a person, just a resource. They will squeeze every drop out of you. They want you to work more hours and compensate you less.

I quit my job Sept. 29.....after 8 years of service. I did allot for that company(largest fast food chain on the planet). I've been on vacation since. I just started looking for a job this week. They are the ones hurting...hehehe. My replacement quit after two days. They still have no replacement in sight. Makes me laugh. Any way.....

You can only take so much BS, or you see the writing on the wall.

It is a tough choice.

Good luck.

Dang freakin skippy!! That's just like my dad....worked for Albertsons grocery chain as a store director for like 17 years....working like 75 hour weeks and after cutting out his bonuses, they cut the hours he could use on his employees so much that he...the store director, had to go in and stock groceries at night and basically do the jobs of the positions Albertsons corporate cut out. Then, they layed him off about a year ago. That freakin company is so screwed right now and they are treating their employees like machines, working them till they break and the replacing them. Makes me sick. That's why I want to get into law enforcement...there is always a need for police officers, and they take care of their own.
          I wish you luck with the new position, man. Don't take too much crap.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

There's a grocery chain around here, can't remember the name of it offhand now, that was recently named the best company to work for in America. Their official motto is "Employees first, customers second." They believe that a happy employee will keep customers happy. To me, that's the way you do business. Don't forget who's interacting with those custmers every day. Coporate America today is all about the share holders, and returning on their investment. The more costs you cut, the higher the profit margin, the better off you are. As a CEO, I'd rather treat people right and take a little hit to the bottom line that be a cut-throat, but maybe that's just me.

We just bought a new house, and my wife works for the bank that we got our mortgage through. That mortgage department did everything in their power to screw us over on this deal. They called us the night before we were supossed to settle and told us there were problems with the documents they had for a week, and we wouldn't be able to settle the next day. All the other settlements involving our sellers and their sellers hinged on us settling that day, and they decide to tell us a few hours before that it won't happen. We would've been homeless for a few days until they could reschedule. Needless to say my wife went off and started calling bosses and CEO's to get paper work rushed and exceptions made, and the company didn't really want to help... they just didn't care. My wife sees customers every day and is expected to refer people to this mortgage department, and here they are screwing her over royally! It was only through the superhuman efforts of a couple of understanding employees that we got to settle about 8 hours late that day.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

its a test. dont take advantage of it. bust your (_!_)

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

The grocery chain your thinking of is Wegmans. It's been good to my sister in-law. She's been with them over 20 years and a bakery manager for 15+ years. My brother used to work for them and didn't fair so well with them. He made some changes that they weren't fond of and they let him do it, but he was sort of shunned for it.

Bust your butt and you'll get through it.

Good Luck.
                2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Jay, they had to see if it was what you really wanted. Yes, corporate middle management literally plays with you sometimes, but they have to weed though alot of people. You have to sell them on how you really want success and the opportunity to thrive. Now just bust you hind end and you'll be fine.

Comment

Reading this post and the replies brings back memories. Further reinforcing why I left my job and opened my own business. I got tired of the political BS and watching those who did nothing to help progress and production get promoted because they were good at SELF PROMOTION while I did an exceptional job and had to settle. I didn't let the door hit my big butt on the way out. I don't regret leaving at all.

Do what you feel is right for you. In the end, YOU are the only one who will take care of you.
                    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                      Reading this post and the replies brings back memories. Further reinforcing why I left my job and opened my own business. I got tired of the political BS and watching those who did nothing to help progress and production get promoted because they were good at SELF PROMOTION while I did an exceptional job and had to settle. I didn't let the door hit my big butt on the way out. I don't regret leaving at all.

Do what you feel is right for you. In the end, YOU are the only one who will take care of you.
                      Are you hiring help?

Well, the one thing I cna't take away from my company is they ARE committed to MY success. I could never have imagined a company would try this hard to see me succeed - but they did. That's one thing I will never take away from them...

To DaveM, you should have done your mortgage through me

And to everyone who talked about corporate decisions screwing over the little guy... that really wasn't the case here. We're still a relatively small company - all housed in one building even though we are the nation's largest online lender. This was simply between me and my superiors directly... no shareholder really had a stake in this one... it was all about testing my character.

BTW: I just found out today that my new position is only "temporary" and I have to interview for it if I want it permanently.
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Jay, it's really wierd that you work in a fairly small place, and your supervisor is called a "Team Captain". (My boss is called Bob ) Not only is that very 80's jargon, but it is just plain strange - are they copying the Taco Bell business model? Also, I think you are wise to be patient and try to find something that suits you better, cause you seem to be having way too many mood swings and anxiety about this job, not to mention the finances involved which are making you have to sell your car, and live at home. You got a college degree, right? I would think there's opportunities out there which will make you happier and pay a little better. Anyway Good Luck pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                          Jay, it's really wierd that you work in a fairly small place, and your supervisor is called a "Team Captain". (My boss is called Bob ) Not only is that very 80's jargon, but it is just plain strange - are they copying the Taco Bell business model? Also, I think you are wise to be patient and try to find something that suits you better, cause you seem to be having way too many mood swings and anxiety about this job, not to mention the finances involved which are making you have to sell your car, and live at home. You got a college degree, right? I would think there's opportunities out there which will make you happier and pay a little better. Anyway Good Luck pal.

Kevin, my job could have been very lucrative... I just wasn't very good at it. As for the "80s jargon" it's a very liberal, progressive, and flat management structure. There's about 2500 people in the company, and I have sent an email directly to the President and gotten a personal response. I can't imagine that happening anywhere else.

Thanks for the encouragement... I've definitely been feeling a lot of stress from this, and that's defintiely where the "mood swings" have come from...

I'll get through it.

Comment

You better get through it, I still gotta prove how loud my LoudMouth really is lol . Just keep your head up man. We all go through this crap. Don't forget you've always got us to vent on also. Take care man
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                              There's a grocery chain around here, can't remember the name of it offhand now, that was recently named the best company to work for in America. Their official motto is "Employees first, customers second." They believe that a happy employee will keep customers happy. To me, that's the way you do business.
                              WHAT!? Stop & Shop's motto is "A better place to work, a better place to shop". I've decided to change it to- "A better place to work if you wish to become a schizophrenic sociopath". The managers take advantage of you and have screwed me over countless times and i wish i had a trained bear behind my register to maul all of the damn customers. They're so damn lazy. They put all they're crap up and gawk at you while you pack everything up for them while they don't lift a finger. It might sound laughable but there's so much wrong with the place that people have actually left to go to lower paying jobs. If that wasn't the only thing paying my bills, i'd curse out all of the managers excluding maybe a handfull and leave. I think we all hate our jobs Either way, i know what you're going though. My mom and my stepdad work for the county and they're always worried about layoffs. Anyhow, good luck and i hope everything works out. The thought of losing your job is some scary stuff!
                              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                              SOLD- Kinda miss it
                              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                              SOLD- Good riddance!
                              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Working...
                              X