I put down a deposit on a new car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put down a deposit on a new car

The deposit is refundable and I have until Monday to make my final decision.

The car is a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited spec.B

It's a limited production car, # 312 of 500. The spec.B package includes a special color scheme with maroon-red interior. The interior is absolutely beautiful, and by far, the best part of the car. The real benefit of the spec.B package is the suspension system on it - all Bilstein components. It comes fully loaded - CD w/ MP3 player, sunroof, and DVD Navigation.

As far as the motor goes, it's a detuned STi motor - and for a sedan, the car is FAST. It runs low 14 second quarter miles according to C&D trapping just shy of 100 mph.

Financially, it makes sense because I can have a great compromise of everything I want in one car - as opposed to having a Corvette that I only drive 5 months out of the year. This car is practical, has AWD, and is relatively inexpensive for the amount of car you get.

Pros: Comfortable, practical car, with enough performance to keep me honest. And I get to never drive the Cavalier again.

Cons: It means no Corvette this spring - and it doesn't have the anywhere near the curb appeal of the Vette.

I don't know... I'm 70/30 buying this car. But it's pretty hard to give up on the Corvette when I am only about 5 months away from buying it.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Here's a little more detail about the Legacy spec.B

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news..../subaru/1.html
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

It's a nice sedan if that's what you are looking for. I know you won't go wrong getting it if that's your choice.

Did you consider the 06 Impala SS? I think if I was going to buy a 4 door sedan I would put the Impy on my list of cars to look at and test.
      2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-S
        It's a nice sedan if that's what you are looking for. I know you won't go wrong getting it if that's your choice.

Did you consider the 06 Impala SS? I think if I was going to buy a 4 door sedan I would put the Impy on my list of cars to look at and test.
        Sorry, GM sedans are just so far behind European and Japanese sedans, it's really saddening. I realize they put a V8 in it - but after you sit in the Legacy's interior you'll really realize how far behind the Impala is...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
          Sorry, GM sedans are just so far behind European and Japanese sedans, it's really saddening. I realize they put a V8 in it - but after you sit in the Legacy's interior you'll really realize how far behind the Impala is...
          yup...GM cars are still a generation behind most imports. There the best GM has ever brought to market, but when you sit in one and then a competitor's in the same class...night and day...okay, maybe not night and day, but it's significant enough.

I have faith GM cars will be up to par in another 5-6 years...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

oh yeah...great choice Jay. My buddy wants one too...we're both surprised that the Legacy isn't getting much attention nor have we seen many on the road. It's a great car...great choice.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Jay, that looks nice. Yes, I like the interior. Good choice.
              LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Cool interior and 100 HP per liter ain't too shabby either.

Comment

interior rocks..

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
                  Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

I'm sure a lot of STi parts would fit on it I like the car, very nice. And look at it this way... when you're trying to pick up the ladies, a Corvette just tells them you're trying to make up for other shortcomings, if you get my drift, or you're using the car to pick up chicks (which you probably are)... but the Legacy tells them you're a responsible adult who's confident in himself and ready for a relationship.

I say go for it, maybe pick up a used C6 or even Z06 in a few years.
                    Dave M
                    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Traitor!!!!
                      Why not get a nice european saloon if you dont like the american ones, i think audi is a very good car, and you can get an quattro a6 that is what i would get..maybe the 4.2 v8 and its got nice clean shapes too

This subaru looks good , the interior looks great but i m not so sure about the outside, its like a big civic , have you seen the driver in the pictures ..maybe thats their target market I think its good engineering , if you can get along with the exterior design

Its just my opinion, i ve never seen one in person so i wouldnt know, i just hate subarus for some reason, maybe because some imprezas are hard to beat
                      93 t/a A4 3.23s
                      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

pros: The stealth mode, AWD, Warranty, Can be driven all year.

cons: The stealth mode, supposedly the transmissions are fragile when really pushed.

What color?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          pros: The stealth mode, AWD, Warranty, Can be driven all year.

cons: The stealth mode, supposedly the transmissions are fragile when really pushed.

What color?
                          They only make the spec.B edition in that silver picture you see in the photo. However, that photo is really quite poor. It makes the color almost have a brown/beige tint to it, but it doesn't. It's slightly darker than your normal silver - it's a pretty cool color. Also, the interior leather has a little more maroon/purple tint - it looks a lot more red in the photo than it really is.

I've heard the same about the transmission. However, I think that is the standard WRX transmission (which this car has). They put the STi motor in the car, but left the STi transmission on the sidelines, which seems like a curious choice. The car sets cruise on the highway at 3100 RPMs... and it has a lot of get-up-and-go from there. It's unecessary. I'm thinking if I put the STi tranny on the car, give myself a 6th gear, I can save some fuel economy as well as give the transmission some strength to hold up to some abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
                            Traitor!!!!
                            Why not get a nice european saloon if you dont like the american ones, i think audi is a very good car, and you can get an quattro a6 that is what i would get..maybe the 4.2 v8 and its got nice clean shapes too

This subaru looks good , the interior looks great but i m not so sure about the outside, its like a big civic , have you seen the driver in the pictures ..maybe thats their target market I think its good engineering , if you can get along with the exterior design

Its just my opinion, i ve never seen one in person so i wouldnt know, i just hate subarus for some reason, maybe because some imprezas are hard to beat
                            As far as relaibility goes, there is no comparison between most Japanese makes and most European makes. Audi v. Subaru is no exception.

Not to mention that a V8 A6 is a $50,000 - $60,000 car this side of the pond.

I was considering an S4 - but I would have ha to wait until springtime to get that car as well, and I guess I just want out of the Cavalier. Can you blame me for that???

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                              As far as relaibility goes, there is no comparison between most Japanese makes and most European makes. Audi v. Subaru is no exception.

Not to mention that a V8 A6 is a $50,000 - $60,000 car this side of the pond.

I was considering an S4 - but I would have ha to wait until springtime to get that car as well, and I guess I just want out of the Cavalier. Can you blame me for that???
                              I was just kidding, sounds like a nice car will be a surprise for some people on the road with that engine and the 4x4 i d like an s4 too, or maybe an s6
                              93 t/a A4 3.23s
                              95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                              99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                              99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                              97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                              93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                              00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Working...
                              X