Ordering My Exhaust Today - Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering My Exhaust Today - Questions

I'm going to order my exhaust today (wife just informed me it's an early Father's Day present). I just have a couple questions...

I'm almost positive I want to go with the SLP LM or LM II. I've heard many sound clips from all sorts of exhausts mated to the LS1 over the past couple weeks. I'm still having trouble deciding between which of the two I'm going with. I know it can always be changed out pretty easily from the bullet muffler of the LM II over to the resonator of the LM. Is their a performance difference between the two?

With that said, what website normally has the best prices on these cat-back kits? So far LMPerformance seems to be the way to go, but I wasn't sure if anyone used another site they were pleased with.

Last question. How easy are the Loudmouth systems to install without a lift? Does the factory exhaust come off easily?

Sorry for the long-winded post. As always, thanks in advance for all your input.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Exhaust system is easy to install. If you want to save your stock catback, you may have to drop the rear end, or just get the car high enough and wiggle it out. If you don't care, use a sawzall and cut it where it goes over the rear end. That's what I did, because I planned on trashing it anyway. It's really really easy. Just back the car up on ramps and you will know what to do. Very very easy. Takes less than an hour for a first timer.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I am still unsure if the stock exhaust is worth saving. I doubt it's worth anything. I'll probably just save the mufflers and tips, and go the sawzall route for the rest of it.

Thanks!
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

Comment

If you order the LM with the LM II race muffler you will save money in the long run because when you buy the complete system with either the resonator or the race muffler the system will cost the same.... but if you want to buy just the resonator or race muffler seperately the resonator will run you $78 but the race muffler will run you $100. So I would purchase the LM II then buy a resonator later on if I was you. Or if you want both I believe that there is an ebay store that sells the system with both mufflers for $400. But IMHO the LM II race muffler sounds soooooo much better. But then I again that is what I have and i guess that would make me a little biased.

But either way you will love that first WOT....
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
          Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I am still unsure if the stock exhaust is worth saving. I doubt it's worth anything. I'll probably just save the mufflers and tips, and go the sawzall route for the rest of it.

Thanks!

LM original. My friend has it on his 2002 SS. Drives by me when im not paying attention and scares the crap out of me. So loud. Its a little raspy but its still gorgeous. Hope you dont want to listen to any music with either of those exhausts

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the replies, fellas. Bob - I may just order the LM II and the LM resonator at the same time. Thanks for the tip!

Darkz711 - While I like listening to music, nothing sounds better than a mean exhaust note. Can't wait.
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

Comment

I checked prices for about 2 months and LMperformance was the best price. But no matter where you order form make sure you get in contact with them and ask them if they have the cat-backs in stock. I ordered mine from Maryland Speed or something like that (my 3 digit security # was rubbed off of my credit card and they let me use other info it its place) and got an email a day later to tell me they were on backorder from SLP and they would notify me when SLP was shipping the exhaust to them. Then I had to wait for them to ship it to me!!! Took me about three and a half weeks before I finally got it.

I have heard both systems and both sound darn good but.... IMO the resonator get annoying when just cruising around which is why I opted for LM II because I heard it got rid of that raspiness and it isn't extremely loud when cruising.
              1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

When I did my exhaust, a sawzall made the removal a piece of cake. Also, my car was a daily driver in the suburbs around chicago before I bought it. Because of this, my 2 bolts that go in to my cat were seized and needed to be torched out. So just keep in mind, that if your car has been a daily driver during winters in the past, that those bolts might cause you a bit of a problem. If you spray 'em down and what not, and they still don't come out, then my suggestion is to stop wasting your time and just torch 'em. It's the quickest route to go and is easy as pie.

As for the music, you are going to notice that you have to turn it up a bit when you're cruising around with the windows down. None the less, that first WOT will make you drool profusely
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Thanks. I bought the car a couple months back. It's an '02 with only 16k on it. From what it looks like underneath, it doesn't look like it was ever driven in the winter. I'll keep it in mind though. I can't wait for the first time I open it up.
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

Comment

If you don't want the rasp at all, go with the LM2. You're not gonna notice that much of a difference in volume between the 2. As for exhaust vs. music, I can easily drown out my LM with my stereo, so its not like its unbearable. Buuuuut, if I press pause on my deck or iPod...well, she definitely sings a nice song all on her own . Go with the LM2...if you want the resonator later, I've still got mine and will part with it for cheap (runnin' a steel-pack on my LM). As for prices, LMPerfomance is gonna be the cheapest of our sponsors. If you want cheaper, use Summit's or, I believe, Thunder's price-matching to get it cheaper if you want to use them. Good luck on your purchase and post a clip when its on
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I just ordered it through LM Performance. I ended up going with the original LM. I wanted the 3.5" slash tips, but they were on back order. I went with the dual/dual set-up instead after finding the slash tips on eBay. I'll see how the dual/duals look in person first.

As soon as I get it installed (hopefully next weekend) I'll try to post something.

Thanks again!
                      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                      17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                        Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I just ordered it through LM Performance. I ended up going with the original LM. I wanted the 3.5" slash tips, but they were on back order. I went with the dual/dual set-up instead after finding the slash tips on eBay. I'll see how the dual/duals look in person first.

As soon as I get it installed (hopefully next weekend) I'll try to post something.

Thanks again!
                        I went with the dual/duals also. If you end up not liking them, lemme know. Mine are kinda scratched up and I wouldn't mind having a new set. Congrats on your purchase
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase....you won't regret it one second.....especially the first time you let her rip

I think you are the first person other than myself who wanted the slash tips over the dual/duals. I personally could care less about the tips, performance is always what matters for me, but it is nice getting to choose small things like that.

Have fun with your new toy, and be prepared to set off some alarms
                          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                            Congrats on the new purchase....you won't regret it one second.....especially the first time you let her rip

I think you are the first person other than myself who wanted the slash tips over the dual/duals. I personally could care less about the tips, performance is always what matters for me, but it is nice getting to choose small things like that.

Have fun with your new toy, and be prepared to set off some alarms
                            Can't wait!

Steve - I will definitely let you know what I decide. If I go with slash tips, the dual/duals are all yours.
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

Comment

One more question for LM owners...

I know many of you said that WOT is sick, and I can't wait to hear it, but how does it sound at idle? I've been to a few sound clip sites, but I'm sure they don't do it justice. Does it sound quite a bit louder than stock at idle or low throttle?
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X