X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 95TransAm
    Tomorrow's the big day huh?

You're gonna love it!
    Yeah. My wife even said "You're crazy. You can't even wait one more day and do it on Saturday"?

Nope!
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

One more question about the install....

Am I better off jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands or ramps? Which will be easier to work around. Thanks!
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
        One more question about the install....

Am I better off jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands or ramps? Which will be easier to work around. Thanks!
        Either or would be fine. When I did mine I used jackstands....had no problems with them getting in the way.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Either will work, but I can see how the argument can be made that stands would be easier. But, you'll be fine with either.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks, fellas! Couldn't do the install without your help. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

Comment

One more question (again)...

This may sound like a dumb question, and it probably is, but I've heard so many schools of thought on this subject, I thought I should inquire. Where is the best spot to jack up these cars? From the subframe on one side, place a jackstand, and repeat on the other?

I know you can't go from the rear of the car, so I thought I should ask.

Thanks again!
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

Comment

One more question (again)...

This may sound like a dumb question, and it probably is, but I've heard so many schools of thought on this subject, I thought I should inquire. Where is the best spot to jack up these cars? From the subframe on one side, place a jackstand, and repeat on the other?

I know you can't go from the rear of the car, so I thought I should ask.

Thanks again!
                Actually, you can jack up a car from the differential....just make sure you know how to do it otherwise you will screw up your diff cover and fluid will leak.

Jack it up under the subframe, place jackstand there, repeat on other side. Just remember when you're jacking it up to place the jack in a spot where you can leave yourself enough clearance to put a jackstand there as well. It's not a big deal, but I've just jacked it up before without thinking only to have to let it down and do it again 'cuz I couldn't get my stand where I want it.

Or......
                You can just get subframe connectors and jack it up wherever you feel like....

Good luck!
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Okay, thanks! I was going to do it from the diff, but the plate on my jack is too big. I was afraid it might even hit the panhard rod. I'll just do it one side at a time and take my time. I'm heading out now to do this job. Hope it goes well. I'll let you know how it went.
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

Comment

Well... It didn't go well. I never even got the car all the way up in the air. The jack I was using stopped lifting. The car started lowering even though the bleeder valve was tightened on the jack. I looked at it closely to see the bleeder valve had stripped threads.

No biggie. It gave me a reason to go out and buy a brand new one tonight. I'm heading out in a while. The exhaust goes on tomorrow.... hopefully.
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

Comment

Well... It didn't go well. I never even got the car all the way up in the air. The jack I was using stopped lifting. The car started lowering even though the bleeder valve was tightened on the jack. I looked at it closely to see the bleeder valve had stripped threads.

No biggie. It gave me a reason to go out and buy a brand new one tonight. I'm heading out in a while. The exhaust goes on tomorrow.... hopefully.
                      What do you mean "hopefully"? lol I bet you'll be out there at the crack of dawn jacking her up and getting ready to work, if you're not playing mid-night mechanic tonight lol
                      Steve

Comment

If you look at the underside of your "ground effects" on the side of your T/A... towards the back there is a little indention in the molding that is made to be where you slide a jack under and that is the recommended spot to jack up the back of the car.

What I did was i jacked up the car at that spot and then placed ramps underneath the back tires (keep in mind you have to have a jack capable of lifting it pretty high). My install went really smooth and I had more than enough room to work with. Hope this helps.
                        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                          What do you mean "hopefully"? lol I bet you'll be out there at the crack of dawn jacking her up and getting ready to work, if you're not playing mid-night mechanic tonight lol
                          I did the midnight mechanic thing when I got mine. Parents told me to go to bed and I said I was almost done. Then a few hours later when I really finished and fired her up it woke my parents up and they were pissed.
                          '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
                          Stock with an irratic idle...
                          (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Ha! Yeah, Steve. I'm actually going over my Dad's to do it tomorrow morning at 7:30. He was mad I didn't have him help me today. He loves this kind of stuff. We'll be giving all the Saturday morning late sleepers a little wake-up call.

Thanks, Bob. The problem with the jack I was using (and the one I bought tonight) is the size of the arm. It's about three times as wide as the indentation in the ground effects. My Father swears we can jack it up from the differential. I just hope I don't catch the swaybar with it. I told him we need to be careful because it could shift the diff cover enough to leak, but he's stubborn and assures me it will be fine. He also wants to slide the jack stands under the rear end. Is this okay to do?

You guys all rock. Thanks for all the help!
                            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                            17K Miles

Comment

Ha! Yeah, Steve. I'm actually going over my Dad's to do it tomorrow morning at 7:30. He was mad I didn't have him help me today. He loves this kind of stuff. We'll be giving all the Saturday morning late sleepers a little wake-up call.

Thanks, Bob. The problem with the jack I was using (and the one I bought tonight) is the size of the arm. It's about three times as wide as the indentation in the ground effects. My Father swears we can jack it up from the differential. I just hope I don't catch the swaybar with it. I told him we need to be careful because it could shift the diff cover enough to leak, but he's stubborn and assures me it will be fine. He also wants to slide the jack stands under the rear end. Is this okay to do?

You guys all rock. Thanks for all the help!
                              I've lifted mine from the diff. a couple times with no problems. Just make sure its in the cradle and not on the edge. Also, If the sway bar catches, it shouldn't be a problem. It is fairly sturdy (as I've caught mine, even lifted it once without any problems) and should be fine.
                              Steve

Comment

I installed the exhaust today.

What a difference!!! I also seem to have a bit more throttle response. At least a noticable amount. Unreal. Thanks for all the help Steve, 95TransAm, and Bob! You guys rule.
                                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                                17K Miles

Comment

Working...
                                X