Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon, the correct formula would be:

M1V1+M2V2=(M1V1)1 +(M2V2)1

The correct formula shows the final mass and vector.

Goodnight and farewell, I see your agenda and I'm ending it now.

For the rest of you guys, a semi and a Volkwagon Bug are traveling at 100 mph in opposite directions, but toward each other. The truck weighs roughly 10 times the weight of the other vehicle. The two collide head on. Both vehicles are now moving in the same direction, the Semi slowed to 99 mph, the volkswagon is now traveling 99 mph in the opposite direction.

Basically the bug becomes a thin coat of paint on the front of the Semi while the truck itself only slows 1 mph.

Comment

Here is an interesting graph from a study of traffic safety showing the relation between vehicle mass and passenger fatalities:

It would seem that "the bigger the safer".

Lots of formulas can be used to show changes in momentum, force, and the impulse of force, but "m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v1+2" is the basic inelastic equation used when some kinetic energy is transferred to the passengers which usually isn't good!

Comment

It would seem that "the bigger the safer".

Lots of formulas can be used to show changes in momentum, force, and the impulse of force, but "m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v1+2" is the basic inelastic equation used when some kinetic energy is transferred to the passengers which usually isn't good! [/B][/QUOTE]

That version of the formula is a correct version as well. As you posted, the result is enough to really open your eyes when you do the math.

The bigger is safer rule does appear to be accurate except that when a large vehicle contacts an even larger vehicle, more energy is produced and transmitted. So it should be a relative comparison. Interesting chart though. It shows how lightweight cars in the hands of younger drivers can be a dangerous gamble. I know when I had a little 1800 lb, 200 HP road rocket.... It felt unsafe. I would rather be driving my 5500 LB crew cab. That indeed felt safe.

Comment

A lot of people here in Texas drive very big trucks and SUV's.

Specifically the guys who drive the big trucks like the F-350's usually have a pretty heavy duty "brush-guard" welded or bolted to the front of the truck.

I saw an accident last summer that occurred right in front of me where a little pasenger car pulled out right in front of one of these big trucks and the passenger car was booted like a football while the truck barely sustained any damage whatsoever. Needless to say but the passengers in the smaller car were seriously injured while the woman drving the big truck was not even scratched or bruised!

Comment

Twice mine was involved in an incident.

My now ex-wife was driving down a two lane road at about 40 mph when some teen girl started to pull right in front of her. The teen slammed on the brakes and stopped about half way in the lane, but far too late of a reaction. Nothing my wife could do except try to steer around, a car was immediatly next to her so she was pinned. The front hub on the driver's side cut the entire nose of the teen's car off just in front of the wheels just like the Ben Hur charriot race as she tried to squeeze past. The only damage to the truck was a dent and sratches on the hub cap, and a small scratch on the ground effects.

The second time, some teen girl bounced off the side of the rear fender because she wanted in my lane but forgot to look and see that I was there. I can't image how you can miss a crew cab dually when it is immediatly next to you. The only damage to the truck was a scrape on the fender, her little misubishi had a caved in door, broken off mirror, little bits of broken trim everywhere.

Hmm..... see a pattern here?

Comment

i got smoked by a intregra type R that ran 12.06
              1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I have always been one to flame on hodas, but the truth is, if they DID make a V8, with all the technology and engineering they have got going on, it would romp. Ford is trying hard though, their 4.6 modular is a step up. Its not too impressing on the HP, but I think it actually has some real potential....but frankly, everyone is so concerned about gas mileage, and know one understands that even a 500HP 4cyl is gonna get crappy gas mileage. not AS crappy as a 500HP 350, but still...
                I will always be into V8, rear wheel, 2 door cars.
                82 camaro x2:
                82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
                82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

If Honda made a real sports car I would probably buy it. The NSX was a good start.

96 TA Sold!
                  87 TA Sold!
                  80 Z28 Sold!
                  74 Formula Sold!
                  73 Z28 Sold!
                  69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                    If Honda made a real sports car I would probably buy it. The NSX was a good start.
                    I always liked the Lexus SC400. A supercharger on that car would make a fun ride, and it's a Toyota! My brother had a SC300, and even that was fun.. kinda like a v6 f-body.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                    X