Can I take an 01 SS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike71
    it can sure put down the numbers on the dyno..but damned if it can put down the numbers at the track..13.9????

Should be better, yeah... especially since I hit 13.3 stock. Not 13.9 though.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

You guys need to keep in mind that mine isn't exactly out of the box. Here are the mods that got me 107 mph.....
      SLP ceramic headers, random tech high flow dual cat Y pipe, 3.73s, underdrive pulleys, 1LE driveshaft, lighter wheels and tires, ferco intake tube, airfoil, K&N, LT4 KM, ported MAF, PCM program, BMR LCAs, relocation brackets, adjustable panhard rod and torque arm, base rear springs, preformance trans with upgrades but with stock converter.

Some of you guys need to relax a little...... both of these motors perform very well, they are both engineered to give a slightly different powerband curves. The LS1 comes alive in the upper rpms due to better heads. Plain and simple.

When I lived in South Florida, there was quite a large f-body club with major rivalries. It wouldn't be uncommon for 100 f-bodies to meet at various spots for midnight drags. Every stage from stock to high 9s on the street. One guy in particular took a stock 96 SS and simply did a very mild cam and heads that flowed nearly identical to his other car's mildly worked LS1 heads. basically his goal was to make his 96 idle smooth yet pull harder on the top end. Ironically the 96 (with stock manifolds) was trapping at the same 110 mph with no other mods. This guy wasn't a drag racer, more of a corner carver/ street brawler so he didn't go with big and littles and all the other stuff for straight line only.

The reason I posted this is to show that the diplacement of both engines is close enough to be considered identical, if we accept that the rotating friction of the two is close enough to be called identical, the only factor left is breathing and tuning. LS1 heads are better out of the box, that's why the cars are faster.

As far as the exhaust sound of the two. Firing order plays a major role in the tuning of the exhaust. I mentioned that before and someone decided to call BS, but the fact remains that the factory engineers knew this and that's why exhaust systems got re-tuned for better sound. Take an exhuast tuned for an LS-1 and it will not sound as pleasing on a LT-1. For anyone that doubts the affect of firing order, have you ever heard 180º headers? The primary tubes on certain cylinders are crossed over and depositied into the opposite bank collector. The result is marginally better power, but an exhaust note at WOT that makes an incredibly beautiful wail that cannot be duplicated with traditional headers. Changing the firing order gets the LS1 half way there in sound.

The point is, each motor has it's stong points, it's weak points and both can be worked to overcome it's inherant disadvantages. Neither one is better, unless you consider fresh out of the box and the LS1 heads are a jewel right from the start.

The only personal comments I can make is that I prefer the LT-1 car's front end and the sound of the LT-1 exhaust as long as it isn't wide open. there are several measurements that should be applied to sound. One is volume- how loud it gets, another is tone- the blend of sound waves from lows to highs and how they combine to form a tone. LT-1s sound deeper, LS1s alittle more highs. Both can be loud, the tone will be different.

That's the beauty of this hobby, there are so many choices based on preferances.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        That's the beauty of this hobby, there are so many choices based on preferances.

too many choices, and not enough $$
        DWS
        Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Originally posted by DWS'95Bird

too many choices, and not enough $$

In my case, too many projects and not enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            The term "low-end" is very, very vague. What do you mean? Below 3000? Below 2000? The truth is that stock versus stock, an 01-02 LS1 starts making more torque than a 97 LT1 as low as 2200 RPMs.
            The term "can" should be used here. I've done quite a bit of research looking at stock dyno graphs and found that it can go either way. Take this for example, a stock LT1 at the dyno: http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/...dyno/DYNO3.jpg
            at 2200 he is way over the 300 torque marker.

Here's a stock '02 LS1: http://www.bat-caveonline.com/car%20...aseline-ta.jpg
            At 2200, he isn't even at 300 yet.

BTW, both were M6s. Now can I find a chart that shows the reverse of the results? Yes. Can I find more that support the above? Yep.

Again, this depends on how strong the motor is from the factory. More torque above 2200 cannot be assumed true just because one car performed better than some others.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well no offense, but who really cares about torque under 2,200 RPM unless you are driving a dump truck? The LS1's produce more torque and more HP under the curve period. I own an LT1 and I have no problem freely admitting that the design of the LS1 is vastly superior to that of the LT1.

They virtually share nothing in common with the LT1, and like Jay said, there is a reason why GM chose to step up to the LS1.

Yes, both motors can be built to perform. Any motor can be built to perform.

Guys, just be glad you aren't drving a Ford!

Comment

yeah i am glad i dont drive a ford

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Well no offense, but who really cares about torque under 2,200 RPM unless you are driving a dump truck? The LS1's produce more torque and more HP under the curve period. I own an LT1 and I have no problem freely admitting that the design of the LS1 is vastly superior to that of the LT1.

They virtually share nothing in common with the LT1, and like Jay said, there is a reason why GM chose to step up to the LS1.

Yes, both motors can be built to perform. Any motor can be built to perform.

Guys, just be glad you aren't drving a Ford!
                  tell us how your really feel........................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                    tell us how your really feel........................

Do you really want me too?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      Don't rub in the 13 second ETs , we all know I should be in the 12s ... I don't know what my problem is -- but it's obviously not the car.
                      I just had to, I couldn't resist
                      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Working...
                      X